Sign in to follow this  

Starting in cold weather?

2005 YZ250F

I'll start by saying I'm brand new.  This is my first bike.  It seems to start fine when it's around 60F (at least that's the only time I've been able to start it....)

But, I've been working on it at night in my un-heated garage and it's around 45F and I can't for the life of me get it to start.  The carb is fresh, the float level is set correctly and my gas is good.  I replaced the spark plug.  Haven't checked the valves, yet but the previous owner told me that he had just had them shimmed (I know.... don't take anyones words for that.)  Any other tips/advice?

fresh gas? hand off the throttle? choke out? out of spec valves will make it harder to start but that usually only starts bitting you in the butt when the motor is hot and you kill it... or it will be hard to start the cold engine no matter what the ambient temp is..

fresh gas? hand off the throttle? choke out? out of spec valves will make it harder to start but that usually only starts bitting you in the butt when the motor is hot and you kill it... or it will be hard to start the cold engine no matter what the ambient temp is..

Yes, yes, yes.  I replaced the plug a few weeks ago and it started on the first kick.  Is it easy to foul plugs on these bikes?

Not really.. in the 11 years I've had my 04 yz250f.. I've fouled one plug. It was relatively new and I hadn't let it warm up and tried taking off with the choke on.. it's never done it since..

Give it one or 2 turns on the throttle just before you kick it over.

I have been told by several that re-jetting the carb will help. My 2013 WR250F is also very hard to start in cold weather. I bought a JD jet kit a few days ago. Once i install it, i will report back.

Cold-start knob out, one or two flicks of the throttle (every bike is different some like one, some like two), and give it a strong smooth kick. It should start fairly easily maybe one to five kicks depending on your bike's temperment. If you're unable to get it to start I would check how the jetting and idle mixture screw are set, who knows how the previous owner has it jetted.

Opened my carb bowl in frustration and nothing came out.  Rapped on it a couple of times with a wrench and the stuck needle valve opened up.  Starts fairly easy now.  Thanks for your help, everyone!