Sign in to follow this  

2002 KL250-G6 Super Sherpa Carburetor Rebuild Kit?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, so I hope you can help me out.

I just bought a 2002 Super Sherpa yesterday for $400 from someone who I am somewhat friends with (we don't hang out or talk often).  It had sat for about a year before I bought it and it won't run. My friend said that he can get it running with some starter fluid, but it won't stay running. I decided to rebuild the carburetor along with fixing all the other minor things that I want to fix before I ride it.

I've never worked on a carburetor myself before, but I've watched someone work on the one for my 2008 TW200 before. I feel I am fully capable of working fixing one, I just needed to get that one fixed really quickly. That said, I don't really know what all I should replace when rebuilding one. I have a decent idea. The o-ring gasket, jets, valve float, jet needle.

I looked up the carburetor that is on it and it's a Mikuni BST-34. Then I tried googling for a rebuild kit for that specific carburetor and couldn't find anything except a KEDO kit (google 94043: KEDO Carburettor Rebuild-Kit) that they won't ship to the U.S.. So I tried googling for a carb rebuild kit by the make and model of the bike and still couldn't find anything but forum posts saying that they can be found on eBay. I searched eBay and didn't find anything. There is actually surprisingly little information to be found via google on the Mikuni BST-34.

I can buy the individual OEM parts for the carburetor on PartZilla, but the total of the parts I think I need is over $60, much more than the usual cost of a rebuild kit.

I also don't know which jets I should get. I read that it runs very lean from the factory and is hard to start and I would benefit from using a larger pilot jet. I would like it start easy, idle smoothly, and have good power (don't we all?), but I don't know the best way to achieve that with a rebuild.

So, my questions are:

1. Where can I buy a rebuild kit for the Mikuni BST-34 and have it shipped to the U.S.?

2. If I can't buy a kit, what are all the parts should I replace and where can I get them?

3. What jets should I use on this bike for 700-1500 ft elevation?

4. Do you have any tips about this bike?

Thanks to everyone in advance for helping me.