Sign in to follow this  

Short girl needs advice

Height: 5"3

Weight : 165

Bike: 2005 Honda 150 f

Type of riding: trail riding it rains a lot where I live so it's muddy a lot the trails we ride are not maintained lots of hill climbs and steep down hills I sometimes go inland to ride at hollister or cow mountain dryer climate dusty .

Level of riding : not really sure I have been pushing this little bike to its limits for a year or so it's defiantly not enough power the suspension sucks ts like riding a jack hammer. I feel like the boys I ride with just glide over everything and I am just getting beat by my bike. I have a really stupid fear of steep down hills and am not really sure how to concur that. My biggest problem is where to go from here what bike do I buy and how do I figure that out 150r? 250 lowered? Help ?my budget is limited to about 2500

At 5'3" a 250f might be too tall. You should look into the crf150rb (the bigwheel model), or an 85/100 2 stroke.

My suggestion would be to sit on a bigger bike and if u can fit on one u can probably ride it. U can lower the bike with the suspension and shaving the seat so that's a thought. As long as you can touch with one foot and the other say on the peg u would be fine.

Hope this helps!

Brandon

Yes I have sat on some big bikes but never tried to trail ride any my worry is that getting back on the bike on steep incline / declines will prove to be too difficult and I have been looking at 150 rb but my worry is that the tire size and wheel base will be a disadvantage. And I have heard 150r's don't make great trail bikes don't know if I believe that though thank you for the input

Edited by Norcaligirl

Ktm 250 xcf have electric start but might cost more... Any motocross bike won't be good for the woods. For example crf250r, kx250f, Ktm 250sxf.

Off-road 250 4 strokes to look for would be wr250f, crf250x, or Ktm 250 xcf. Any 85-100 2 stroke or crf150r(B) would be a motocross bike but since they are smaller they would be easier for you to handle than a 250f motocross bike

My kid who is 5'3' rides a CR125 with a shaved seat with no problems. Bigger wheels and longer suspension travel is always nice for trail riding. 

At your size, there arent a ton of choices.  My 5' 4" daughter started on CRF100F and moved to a KX100 and now to a KDX200. 

CRF150RB (get the big wheel size - 19" front/16" rear same as your CRF150F), KX100, RM100, KTM 105 XC (rare) would also be decent choices.  Much more power, better suspension and brakes and no problems keeping up with other riders.....but the one disadvantage is that all of these bikes have close ratio MX transmissions which arent ideal for the trail.  A wide ratio transmission (like in your CRF150F) is better, but really none available in the smaller sizes.

Someone above suggested a CRF150RB with a Rekluse which would make it more forgiving in trail riding.  In my experience when shopping for the KX100, the CRF150RB is quite a bit more expensive and may be tougher to find in your budget.  That is why we ended up going KX100.  I added flywheel weight, handguards, smaller front sprocket and larger rear sprocket for trail riding.  It worked, but needs to be ridden aggressively..

None of these bikes have elec start like your CRF150F.  Next step to get wide ratio transmisison, enduro bikes is to full size bike, which I think are just too big (even with suspension lowering) for someone your size/weight.  For example a CRF250X, WR250F, KTM 250 XCW are all over 250-260 lbs with fuel.  That is why I looked for a KDX200 for my daughter since these are about 210-215 lbs, have wide ratio transmission and lighting (but no elec start).  With a lowering link and a shaved seat she is on her tiptoes.  Another full size bike option might be the KTM200 XCW which is more modern than KDX200.  I hear (but dont know first hand) that the frame size/cockpit size of the 2007 and prior KTM 200s is smaller.

Type of riding: trail riding it rains a lot where I live so it's muddy a lot the trails we ride are not maintained lots of hill climbs and steep down hills I sometimes go inland to ride at hollister or cow mountain dryer climate dusty .

Level of riding : not really sure I have been pushing this little bike to its limits for a year or so it's defiantly not enough power the suspension sucks ts like riding a jack hammer. I feel like the boys I ride with just glide over everything and I am just getting beat by my bike. I have a really stupid fear of steep down hills and am not really sure how to concur that. My biggest problem is where to go from here what bike do I buy and how do I figure that out 150r? 250 lowered? Help ?my budget is limited to about 2500

Easy. Ok, you're a cute gal. Go find a boyfriend with some money, and have him get you a ktm or husky 4 stroke. Get the springs for your weight and get the bike lowered.

Can you get softer springs for your bike? If your first gear is tall, and the bike goes fast in first....then that is possibly why you're afraid. Get a bigger rear sprocket possibly and your first will be slower. Then, you'll feel mor in control going down hills. Also, if you aren't already, get your weight back and use your front brake for control braking. I only use my front brake going down hills, and use engine braking to control the rear tire.

A proper bike will make a huge difference.

Not to be contrary to anyone here, but many things about riding are purely subjective. And one common thought that I totally disagree with is that two strokes don't make good trail bikes. But they do need to be set up for the trails, as does a four stroke. I only ride 2 strokes and that's for a reason. I'm short. Four strokes are a blast but they weigh a lot in comparison to the same amount of power a 2T puts out.

Chances are the suspension on your 150 doesn't suck. It just wasn't made to carry the weight that you're asking it to. It's a kids bike. You can change that if you are OK with the power of the bike. I'm 130 pounds and my KX 100 flies with me on it. But I needed to up the spring rate. Instead I just moved on to bigger bikes. Being a girl this might be a problem for you. I don't know how strong you are but my 125 and 250 2T's are pretty much at the limit of what I can handle weight wise on the trails.

Just my two cents, but I would suggest staying in the supermini range, and explore stronger springs. And performance mods if you want more power. In the trails a 200 pound full size bike is a handful for short people like us. I'm only on one because I'm a pretty strong little squirt. But there are days at the end of the ride that I'm just flat out exhausted.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

• Like 1