Sign in to follow this  

xr200 wheel size swaps (Pros vs Cons)

We have an '01 and an '02 XR200R that we use for Flattracking. Currently both bikes have 17 inch front and rear wheels - simply because (Well, If I'm going to be honest with you all) that's what everyone else does, and it was a simple swap. :blush:

I'm curious as to what would be (and, how to figure out) the Pros and Cons of making necessary alterations (swing arm, for example) so that the 200s could be fitted with 19 inch wheels.

Pros might be:

1. more FT tire compounds available
  2. more FT tire manufacturers from which to choose
  3. more 19 inch rims lying around from all of our big bikes
  4. etc.

Cons?

1. Would the switch to 19s affect how the engine will perform?
  2. Would the switch to 19s create un-due drag/strain on the motor?
  3. How would you go about figuring how the different wheel/tire size should be handled via gearing?
  4. Etc.

Thanx for any input you experts can offer . . .

HB

18's are a pretty common swap, but mainly for off-road purposes. I'm not sure how 19's would work or if they'd even fit. Maybe someone else can chime in with more useful info.

Right, I see what both of you are mentioning.

'foytix': 19's WOULDN'T fit on the rear (stock) - you'd need alterations (such as larger swing-arm).

'bimbamboom': For as long as I've been involved - it's 19's front AND rear.

I guess, what I'm looking for is performance information. Would the larger wheel/tire in a 19 inch situation be more of a drag on the little 200? How would the increased circumference of 19's affect the rev of the motor (positively or negatively)? etc.

HB

Larger diameter will always take more energy to spin up to speed. Depending on size of flat-track you race on the advantages of 19 may overcome the 17" combo