QUESTIONS: Your Riding Expericence****

Hi everyone! I’m currently working on a design project and need some feedback from other dirt bike riders. If you could take some time to answer these questions it would really help me out!!!

1. What is it you like about dirt biking?

2. What do you like to do when dirt biking? (things that make it a fun experience)

3. What are some problems you have, or things you dislike? 

4. Are there any limitations on where you can ride, or time of year?

5. Do you do any other recreational sports/activities throughout the year? How does this compare?

The more information & responses the better, so feel free to share your thoughts! Thanks!

1. Keeps me in shape for snowmobiling ?  Bike gets better fuel mileage around town than the truck does.
  2. Go places few other people get to go, take pictures of those places
  3. Work gets in the way of my riding time
  4. Being plated, no... not really.  In the winter I'm on a snowmobile anyways.
  5. Snowmobiling.  Motos aren't as fun, but I can ride the moto more months out of the year.  Heated grips and studded tires extend that riding season. 

DSC_4983_-L.jpg

• Like 1

The challenge.  You are limited only by yourself.  The exercise keeps me in shape.  Been doing it for most of my life, keep me in touch with my roots.  Got to keep it up though most people I used to ride with have given it up.  I won't be a part of letting the sport die off.

I like to find new things to try.  Build new jumps or put together new circuits around the track and then hit them as hard as I can.

Problems are only that it doesn't rain enough out here and I can't ride as much as I would like.

Where I'm at you can ride year round and there are no real restrictions on where that I am aware of.

1) The fun of making the machine do what I want when I want, the thrill of the ride itself and the danger that goes with it.

2) Jumping, sliding, hill climbing and going fast.

3) Poor balance 

4) I can ride 7-9 months per year where I live.

5) We go camping, hiking & mtn bike riding when time permits and the weather cooperates, but nothing compares to riding.

Clears mind, requires concentration, adrenaline

2. What do you like to do when dirt biking? (things that make it a fun experience)
Race around with friends.

Falling

4. Are there any limitations on where you can ride, or time of year?

Yes, Indiana winters can take a chunk out of the year, it can vary a lot depending year to year.

5. Do you do any other recreational sports/activities throughout the year? How does this compare?

Yes, mountain biking. Not as fun, less adrenaline.  More accessible in how fast I can get riding and cheaper. Good for the legs.

Snow skiing.  Equally fun to dirtbiking, probably more fun based on the fact I get to do it less. Not very accessible in Indiana. Similar in regards to concentration, adrenaline rush, physically demanding...

1. I enjoy the freedom of getting on the trails or track and just going. It puts everything else out of my mind. I'm only focused on the machine and the scenery.

2. I love to trail ride and I just started MX, which I am also really enjoying.

3. I sometimes tell myself that I can't do something. My mind creates this barrier and it's really difficult to overcome. Still working on that every time I go out. I also hate breaking stuff. My meat hands tend to strip bolts and soft aluminum cases (since acquiring some torque wrenches, these accidents have dropped to zero).

4. Generally, it starts getting too cold around late October and too snowy around December. Stays this way until mid February to early March.

5. I cycle. A fair amount of both mountain and road cycling. They aren't as fun but significantly more accessible. I don't have to haul my road bike to a staging area, nor fill it up with gas. Just clip in and go. I occasionally hike, but since most the hiking trails are also mtb trails, I'm most likely on my bike. Lastly, when my road motorcycle is working, I ride it when the ground is dry.

1. Dirt biking takes me away from the daily grind.  Fantastic scenery, miles of open trails, and a dirt bike let's me cover a lot of ground.  The thrill of being one with the machine.

2. I like to camp with friends and family.  Ride during the day then relax by the fire in the evening, cooking steaks and consuming a couple of beverages, laughing and joking, recounting the day's ride.

3. The occasional weekend warrior retard, having to clean up after irresponsible people, and having to load up the bikes at the end of the trip.

4. Colorado has a short riding season, at least for the type of riding I do (no ice or snow for me).  It gets too cold ?

5.  Kayaking and some light hiking.  Kayaking is a totally different experience.  I do this at least 3 or 4 times throughout the riding season.

So now that you have some answers, how's about you share your project?

I'm an industrial design student working on my thesis project. I am not sure what the final design will be yet, but I want to create something with a whole new riding experience (possibly something you can ride in the winter or all rear-round). A large part of this is user research, so I am asking what experiences people like/dislike about dirt biking, so I can try to incorporate this into my design project.

Hi everyone! I’m currently working on a design project and need some feedback from other dirt bike riders. If you could take some time to answer these questions it would really help me out!!!

2. What do you like to do when dirt biking? (things that make it a fun experience)

4. Are there any limitations on where you can ride, or time of year?

The more information & responses the better, so feel free to share your thoughts! Thanks!

1-the adrenaline and how it keeps my mind out of school

2-going fast, popping wheelies

3-I want electric start

4-can't ride on weekdays

5-nope

Interesting. How about a moto shaped hovercraft type vehicle (the ultimate in soft suspension) that zips through the woods quietly so the Greenies don't have THAT to complain about (I'd provide my own enthusiastic Braaaaaaap! sounds in my helmet) and has a mechanism to gently keep me from slamming into a tree so that I can make it to work Monday morning? Should be easy to whip something up. Get to work. ?

Hi everyone! I’m currently working on a design project and need some feedback from other dirt bike riders. If you could take some time to answer these questions it would really help me out!!!

1. What is it you like about dirt biking?  Getting away from everyone, exploring

2. What do you like to do when dirt biking? (things that make it a fun experience) Hill climbing and going places that people with 4 wheels cannot

3. What are some problems you have, or things you dislike? Many of my friends no longer ride, have to go farther these days to ride.

4. Are there any limitations on where you can ride, or time of year? The city is growing, minimum 20 minutes drive to the dirt

5. Do you do any other recreational sports/activities throughout the year? How does this compare? I ride bicycles, just like being on two wheels

The more information & responses the better, so feel free to share your thoughts! Thanks! I've been riding over 40 years, my riding started i the dirt and most likely will end there.  I've owned over 30 motorcycles and at this time I own 9 and I cannot imagine my life without them.