Sign in to follow this  

universal voltage rectifier help...so lost...

Hello, I have a 1982 Yamaha XT250. Its an enduro but Im just now adding things to make it street legal. I am not good at wiring and the wiring on it has been changed around in the past. Last owner removed the battery which was no big deal, still ran great.

I added a headlight and tail light. Everything seemed fine till I hit the brake and the brake light went from on to SUPER BRIGHT and killed the engine.

I was told that I needed a rectifier because the tail light was using all the juice when the brake light lit up. Im not sure if thats right, I just thought it was a bad ground somewhere. 

I bought a universal rectifier that has about 5 wires (red,black,blue,green,yellow) coming out of it. Im not sure what to do with it....

Do I even need this thing? Is it just a ground after all? 

Ive rebuilt this thing from a basket case and this is the last thing to finish and its making me frown....Can someone please help me out? 

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I think you are probably using the wrong wire to feed the brake light. There shouldn't be any interaction between the lighting circuit and ignition system. The brake light should be fed off the same power wire that feeds the head/tail light.