Sign in to follow this  

Leaky fork leg

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas and some expert advise.

The left fork leg on my 2003 DRZ400s starts to leak fluid about 6 weeks after I replace the seal and wiper.

It' pretty consistent as far a elapsed time goes. Elapsed miles are around 350 to 450 dirt miles.

The first time it happened I just replaced the seal and wiper in both legs figuring it was time. One leaked so I figured the other one was in need of replacement also.

The second time I figured I must have messed something up on install. I replaced the left side seal only.

The third time I used a different brand of seal. Now I'm starting to think It's not my faulty install.

The fourth time I took the stanchion tube to the buffing wheel thinking there was some sort of scratch or nick (that I couldn't see) in the tube. Buffed it up nice and pretty and installed a new seal and wiper.

I go into the garage today to prep for tomorrows ride and it's leaking again.

What am I missing?  The right leg has never leaked. The left is the problem child.

Could it be leaking from somewhere other than the seal?

I grease the seal inside and out upon install.

Help please.

RM-14

Normally what you are dealing with is a nick in the fork tube.  You say there is not nick.  Anything that will kill a seal you can feel.

Try a motion pro seal cleaner.

Stop greasing the seal on the inside.  Just oil

Could be leaking between the seal and the seal bore if the bore has been damaged with the multiple replacements.

Thanks noble.

Seal bore I assume means where the seal meets the slider or lower leg.

I could see some vertical lines on the stanchion tube but could never feel anything. They are mostly gone after the buffing.

Any ideas why it takes so long to leak? I would think if there was a deformity or nick in the metal it would leak right after the seal replacement. But apparently not.

Thanks

RM-14

Edited by Rider M14

Get Suzuki seal!

I changed twice with Allballs and was always leaking.  (fork inner have a bit of blemish on it)

Next OEM  seal.and no leak  since then!

• Like 1

Right now the bike is covered in dried mud from an awesome ride on  Saturday at Stonyford.  Even hit some snow!

I'll order an OEM seal and take a close look at the slider where the seal seats.

Probably won't get to it until after Thanksgiving.

I've also heard that SKF? seals are pretty good.

Any opinions?

Thanks

RM-14