Sign in to follow this  

2002 cr250 linkage arm bearings

So I'm replaced the linkage arm bearings they worn and have some play. I got one side out and working on the other end the outside bearing wall collapse itself and left the bearing stuck in. Anybody figure a way around this before I find a used linkage arm?

Last time I did mine I had to take a dremel tool with a small ball stone and carefully grind the outer bearing race from one end to the other. Then then collapse it in with a screw driver and out

Just be careful not to grind too much and into the aluminum linkage, keep checking.

It worked really good for me.

• Like 1

Before I used a socket believe 15mm to get it out to avoid scaring the aluminum. Attempted the other and just caved in. I'll try heating it with a propane torch.

I'll probably try the dremel tool. I have a friend who did his and used a brass punch to avoid scaring the aluminum so I might try that tomorrow.

Well it looks like you're patient which is half the battle. If the heat doesn't work at home you may want to take it to a machine shop and have it pressed out before resorting to the dremel tool. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I typically soak the linkage arm in penetrating fluid overnight or as long as I can stand and press them out with a socket, the socket HAS to fit very close to the linkage hole diameter our you run into collapsing the only available edge to press against.

Your in a pinch now and you could take a saw blade and work it slowly till you can put a screw driver in a snap the ring and fold it. Keep at it

The thing to do is leave the bearing pins in the race while your pressing them out, the way they don't collapse.

That my only solution right now to maybe see into the bearing lightly and fold it with a screw driver or pick. But think I've learned my lesson leave in needle bearings in

Good news guys with ask me propane heat and a certain tool that helped grip the bearing pulled it out not sure what the tool was but made it easier to pull the bearing out then what I tried.

Good to hear it worked out. If anyone has some time off the bike due to winter arriving I suggest you grease your linkage. It's amazing how time goes by and leaving that alone only makes things worse. I currently have four bikes to deal with and that's one of the last things I think about because it's not visible!

Oh for sure! That's what I'm currently doing with the winter just about here time to rebuild and go through the bike bearings and rebuild the carb and brake system. Only chance to ride it now is if I hear down south to Phoenix AZ to ride. Northern AZ starting to show and temps droppin