Sign in to follow this  

New KX250 Owner....

I just purchased the bike a couple hours ago.  It is an 04, appears to be low hours.  Guy told me it was not run any this past summer and that he was the second owner.  I just got done taking it for a test ride and I have to say I expected a lot more power.  Its been a few years since I have been on an MX bike but the top part of the power band is completely flat, and the bottom end is not anything to write home about.  The guy told me that there was 3 tanks of gas on the new top end and that it had 120lbs. of compression.  But the bike kicks over a lot easier than I expected.  What should the cranking compression be on these bikes?  When I was in high school I had a 94 and that thing seemed to work a lot better if my memory serves me correctly.  Anyways, if someone can tell me what the compression should be for a healthy engine, I would appreciate it.  Thanks

I would expect 185-200 PSI.  120 is not even close.

The 04 made just under 45 at the wheel according to dyno tests in the magazines.  It was a good year.  Sounds like yours is missing quite a lot of hit.  Guy probably put a new top end in a worn out cylinder.

yea definitely low on the compression if its only at 120, check it yourself and see what you get..  Beyond that perhaps the bike is poorly jetted, or has cracked/broken reeds. 

I would expect 185-200 PSI.  120 is not even close.

The 04 made just under 45 at the wheel according to dyno tests in the magazines.  It was a good year.  Sounds like yours is missing quite a lot of hit.  Guy probably put a new top end in a worn out cylinder.

Yes you are probably right on that and I will check it tomorrow for myself.  It sure does not feel like 45HP!!!

if your bike does have low comp you become another member in the low hours seller scam, too many people out there lie about the condition of their bike.

we all need to start bringing comp testers when we go look at bikes...would love to see the looks on their faces when you show the top end is pooched :lol: