Sign in to follow this  

Motorcross?

Hi guys,

I'm just really getting into the dirt bike world so I've been trying a few things. Went on a turkey run last week. Want to try a little motorcross. Here's the thing. I have two bikes, a klx250s and a ttr125. The klx is kinda heavy for me. It's what I did the turkey run on since it had to be street legal. I was just wondering if you guys thought my ttr would be able to handle a motorcross track just for me to try the track once or twice? I do not want to buy a new bike yet before I know if I like it or not and the ttr just sits in the garage so I thought maybe I could put it to some use. I am 5'8 and 150 pounds, so I know I am probably too big for the ttr but I feel so much more comfortable on it. Especially in hairy situations. Do you think if I upgraded the front springs to a set which are 30% stiffer and used a heavier fork oil the bike would be ok for one or two runs? Are there even any classes I could enter that in since it does not have full size wheels (17 inch front and 14 inch back).

Thanks everyone

Honestly your best off selling it and getting something different if u want to get into track riding or racing. I have a ttr125 currently and I don't think it's got the power for a track (and I have the airbox opened up with bigger jets). Your best bet would be to get a 125 2 stroke to rip around on.

You'll end up sinking money into the ttr and people on 65's will be faster. My ttr is decent in trails because it's so small and maneuverable but I'm always pushing its limits and I ride very rocky woods. Btw I'm 5'10" and 140 lbs

You are way to tall and heavy for a ttr125 even for the woods, for the love of god don't let those wheels leave the ground while your on it.

You are way to tall and heavy for a ttr125 even for the woods, for the love of god don't let those wheels leave the ground while your on it.

I agree! The suspension on mine bottoms out when I hit some of the rocks on the trail and get a little air. Was a great bike to learn on but can't do much at mine (and OP) size

You are too tall / heavy for a TT-R125,

as Brandon7711 mentioned, a 125 2 stroke would be a better MX option and still be useful as a trail bike.

Don't spend a dime trying to upgrade a trail bike for motocross track use.

Edited by mlatour

CRF150R is a nice bike but too cost restrictive for many,

at 5'8" / 150lbs he's also a bit too big for it as well.

I'm also 5'8" (but 170lbs) and when I try out my friend's 150R for fun, 

the bar/seat/pegs dimensions are too cramped to ride comfortably.

Edited by mlatour

I was just wondering if you guys thought my ttr would be able to handle a motorcross track just for me to try the track once or twice?

Once or twice?? Yeah, go for it.  Take it easy so you don't crack the frame, but give it a shot.  There's a lot more to motocross than just hitting jumps.  If you like it, get a different bike.  Do not waste your time "upgrading" it.

Edited by yz250f_spud
  • Like 1

You could ride thoes bikes on the track but in my opinion it wouldn't be fun I would get a 2 stroke if your worried about weight. Or ya might like a yz250f cause there lighter the the klx

• Like 1

http://imgur.com/a/zXcL8proof you can motocross a ttr 125.
to those saying it isn't fun, it's litterally the most fun thing in the world hammering a little pos pit bike around an mx track. http://imgur.com/a/YB6Hqproof i ride other bikes aswell :p
EDIT also i have not cracked the frame or cases im 180 and dont have a frame cradle on the bike. i like to live dangerously

Edited by Theeebalz

You are too tall / heavy for a TT-R125,

as Brandon7711 mentioned, a 125 2 stroke would be a better MX option and still be useful as a trail bike.

Don't spend a dime trying to upgrade a trail bike for motocross track use.

i did and it was the best damn money i ever spent. most fun and competetive group of guys ever are on their pitters!

Thank you guys for the advice. I'll have to think about it and I might be in for some serious work on the TTR... or not! not sure yet. But are there motorcross races I could actually race the TTR in seeing as it only has 17in front and 14in rear wheels? Or will they just let me ride on the track?

The issue with your TT-R125 isn't wheel size but the performance limitations of it's suspension,

it's designed to absorb trail terrain at a modest speed, not big jumps at high speed.

I have a friend who owns a CRF150F (air cooled trailbike, Honda equivalent to a TT-R150)

she's healthy (works out at gym), in her late 30's, about 5'3" - 130lbs and decided to learn / practice motocross riding a few years ago.

Being 'mature' she rides for fun at a moderate pace, not the type to attempt any extreme jumps or push things beyond her skill level.

Even just casual riding on an 'intermediate' level MX track where there are mostly small jumps and tabletops,

after a dozen or so rides her MX skills and confidence had improved so much that she started picking up more and more speed.

Well from riding at that faster pace it didn't take too long that she got injured (ankles/knees) as she exceeded the trailbike's suspension limits

and her whole body was now absorbing the large hits instead of the forks/shock.

'You can't make a race horse out of a plow horse' they say,

a saying that's also applicable to bikes.

Edited by mlatour