Sign in to follow this  

clutch basket play?

thought i heard a noise last weekend when i would disengage my clutch, took it all apart to make sure everything in in good shape and all looks good but i notice my basket has some play in it, if i grab a basket ear in each hand and wiggle it there is a little play in the basket, didn't know if anyone knows if this is normal or if i have an issue, it is a full hinson not that that matters, might just be me being paranoid but would like to be sure before i go ride this weekend.

little play in my stock 06 one. I was wondering the same thing. its just a tiny bit of rotation play

There are rubber cushions between the basket and the gear, I just changed my basket on my 13 and the cushions were junk. You can run it the way it is but It will beat your clutch plates up, I would put a new basket in.

I noticed this on 12 too, so I replaced the needle bearing and collar ....but I forgot to check for any play when I put it back together lol.

I know on my CR250 it had a wiseco clutch basket in it when i bought it.  It had play. I replaced it with OEM basket and replaced the collar and bearing and it did not have play when I put it back.

If you have time, I would try replacing the needle bearing and collar, its about $20 worth of parts.  Don't forget to order a new lock washer if you do it.

Had the same problem on my 04. It ended up being the counter shaft bearing behind the basket in the case. Had to do a rebuild.