Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 500 exc key switch eliminator

Ok so I just bought and installed the sicass racing Ktm key switch eliminator. I really like it and I couldn't find much info on them or how they worked, so I figured I would post my experience. It was about $5.50. I'm pretty sure Ktm sells the plug for around the same price, but I chose the sicass one because they explained how it functions and it also included directions. This is supposedly a second generation plug that works from years 2012 -2016 (I was told).

The install was super simple. It took about 5 minutes the first time, but for the YouTube video I made, I did it again in about 3. All you really have to do is unplug the key switch and unplug the similar looking plug from the harness. Then plug in the eliminator plug and you're done.

Now for the operation. The red kill switch and the start button are the only two switches needed to start and stop the bike. When the engine isn't running, all the electronics are dead. This includes the horn, headlamp, fuel pump ect, everything. After the motor shuts off, all the electronics work for about 10 seconds, there's a click under the seat, and everything shuts off. I was told by sicass racing it's a relay.

So to start the bike, turn the red kill switch to on and push the start button. The engine starts and about two seconds later the headlight and all electronics turn on.

My observations-

It doesn't matter what you do after the engine is off. No matter what switches you turn or move, 10 seconds and the bike is dead.

There is no battery drain. I left all the switches in the on position and a day later the battery voltage actually went up a tiny bit. Seems the risk of killing the battery by leaving something on is gone.

The only difference between the factory harness plug and the key eliminator was the stock one has three pins and eliminator has two. I assume the 3rd pin went to the key switch.

The key on the 500 exc really means nothing. If I had one of these plugs I could walk up to any 500 exc, unplug the key switch, remove the old plug, replace it with the new one and start the bike in probably less than 20 seconds. The key is really a false sense of security. You could however zip tie the eliminator plug with easy access and remove it and no one could easily start the bike (if needed).

If Ktm had put a little more effort in the keyed switch, I might have thought twice about installing the eliminator. But after all this, what's the use? Come on Ktm. At least now I don't have to worry about forgetting my key or loosing it anymore. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447477257.775357.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447478069.283729.jpg

Edited by Deepseadan
  • Like 2

Thanks for the post! I might have to get one of these for the toolbox in case i forget or lose my key! Just FYI; that second plug you mentioned removing, that's the one that makes the bike work like an xc, with the auto headlight and all. If you remove that plug but leave the key switch in, then you have the key switch but get the auto headlight, etc..

The key on the 500 exc really means nothing. If I had one of these plugs I could walk up to any 500 exc, unplug the key switch, remove the old plug, replace it with the new one and start the bike in probably less than 20 seconds. The key is really a false sense of security. You could however zip tie the eliminator plug with easy access and remove it and no one could easily start the bike (if needed).

If Ktm had put a little more effort in the keyed switch, I might have thought twice about installing the eliminator. But after all this, what's the use? Come on Ktm. At least now I don't have to worry about forgetting my key or loosing it anymore. ....

I realized that the key eliminator was out there, but I guess that I never stopped to think that it's as easy as you indicate to take a bike, but you're right.

There is one way to mitigate that though. Use the headstock lock on the bike. Now, to get away quickly, you need the key, which they wouldn't have. I make it a habit when I take my bike to town, and I'm going to leave it in the parking lot, or not be around it where I can keep my eye on it, that I always lock the headstock. Takes a couple of seconds, and it's just not worth the risk...

Back when I commuted, I used the head lock, a disc lock on the front and cable lock on the rear, and if you can attach to piping as an anchor.

Head lock is better than nothing, but its not adequate, the way they are typically stolen.

Headlock is easily defeated

At the weight of these bikes they will simply be picked up and tossed into a truck or van never to be seen again.

Yeah, that's true. But, neither is a cable lock attached to a pole. If someone wants the bike bad enough, they will get it.

My only hope is that IF you're going to throw my bike in the back of your pickup, that you get a hernia doing it and dislocate 7 vertabrae in spine, and disabled for life. While it's light, it's NOT THAT light.

One can hope...

• Like 1

Yeah, that's true. But, neither is a cable lock attached to a pole. If someone wants the bike bad enough, they will get it.

My only hope is that IF you're going to throw my bike in the back of your pickup, that you get a hernia doing it and dislocate 7 vertabrae in spine, and disabled for life. While it's light, it's NOT THAT light.

One can hope...

Hope is nice....makes you feel good.

Truth is a sledgehammer to the balls.

neither is a cable lock attached to a pole. If someone wants the bike bad enough, they will get it.

The more work they have to do, involves more risk for them, even a simple half cover, can reduce its chances of being selected

I'm still wrenching on my '16 before the first ride and before ordering the eliminator I figured i'd just jump the two stock wires as that's all I thought the eliminator was.... But when I jumped it I could fire it up and shut it down, but the lights never went out. BUT, I didn't unplug second plug. I'll try that next. Still gonna order the plug, but curious if you can make your own. Thanks for sharing this.

Edited by oldfuddy

. Yes, I'll order it as soon as rousey claims her next victim tonight. I was just playing around with it last night and didn't pull the second plug. Didn't want to ride until it was gone as mine rubs hard on the fork but when I pulled the blinkers off I was able to adjust it so it's not hitting anymore. I don't even know how they can make it, package it, advertise it for only 5 bucks. We need more good ideas like this.

Been running one since 2012 on my first 500, I never leave the bike anywhere so not having the key is a win win for me.

On my 2015 500exc about a year after I had it, I used the headlock for about the 5th time and it was always a little hard to unlock it and I had wiggle the bars around every time, long story short I ended up breaking the metal pin on accident while wiggling the bars back and fourth... I was amazed how easily they could be broken.   I now use a Kryptonite motorcycle lock.

The key still has security value, although someone with know how could defeat it, still better than just a button, sometimes I test my lighting , blinkers fr and back brake lights, quick switch of the key and I have full function, of lighting. tps adjustment without key would be like the xcw(time limited).

The remove the plug and take with you might work, convenience wise as a routine not sure.

its an idea though, but I'll stick to a key

I wouldn't put too much confidence in the key. You can start an exc in about 10 seconds without the key or tools. One 2" jumper is all you need. It is what it is.

You can also use that plug as a way to power your GPS. There is a hot wire in there so you just jumper it. A TT member on here made a plug and then pig-tailed it so it just plugged that into my hardwire kit for my Garmin GPS. So it is always on when my GPS is plugged in but my lights turn off after 10 seconds even if the key is left on and my key is still needed to start the bike. I'm all giddy with my setup :D