KX250f not starting!

Okay so, I recently bought this bike. I was well aware that the previous owner (someone who I know through family) had blown it twice but has the top end completely redone, and just needed to be broken in. I have had this bike for almost five months now it it has been a pain in the butt to get it to start. I did a compression test and it read at about 50psi... Barely. I have also noticed that the hot start on the bike is incredibly stiff, if not, it doesnt even move. So I wanted to ask if any of you would give me some insight. What should the conpression be at? Can the hot start be stuck open and causing it not to start at all?

An online Manuel or specifications should give you your psi reading. As for the hot start get some silicone spray and just unthread the hot start from the carb ( be gentle to not rip the boot ) and spray some down the hole clean with Q-tip and repeat till clean and spray your plug on the of the hot start. If that doesn't fix it then it's your cable, so get a cable press and spray some silicone lube down. Hope that helps.

Okay so, I recently bought this bike. I was well aware that the previous owner (someone who I know through family) had blown it twice but has the top end completely redone, and just needed to be broken in. I have had this bike for almost five months now it it has been a pain in the butt to get it to start. I did a compression test and it read at about 50psi... Barely. I have also noticed that the hot start on the bike is incredibly stiff, if not, it doesnt even move. So I wanted to ask if any of you would give me some insight. What should the conpression be at? Can the hot start be stuck open and causing it not to start at all?

Check the valve gaps sometimes when they are out of spec they can make it hard to start the bike/ poor operation

You cannot go by a compression test, there is an automatic compression release.

Fix the hot start.

Check the valve clearances

Then replace the pilot jet, service the fuel screw and set per the accepted procedure.

The entire engine must be correct before you can expect it to work right. Not fixing known issues leaves you chasing your tail.

What is your starting technique? Are you familiar with the best technique for that bike? Kick through twice using full kicks to charge capacitor, then a good swift full kick to start. Do not even breath on the throttle.

What is your idle setting? Have you measured it? Are you using the "choke" for cold starts?

Does it start right back up once warm?

What year is it?

Edited by LSHD

What is your starting technique? Are you familiar with the best technique for that bike? Kick through twice using full kicks to charge capacitor, then a good swift full kick to start. Do not even breath on the throttle.

What is your idle setting? Have you measured it? Are you using the "choke" for cold starts?

Does it start right back up once warm?

What year is it?

How would you go about checking your idle setting? As for the choke I've never really had to use for it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also the last time I started it once it ran for a bit I turned it of and it kicked right over with only two kicks

How would you go about checking your idle setting? As for the choke I've never really had to use for it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also the last time I started it once it ran for a bit I turned it of and it kicked right over with only two kicks

$25 gets you a Hardine or other brand hour meter that also has a tach function. Installs without tools in minutes. Set you idle to 2100 rpm. Just turn the choke knob clockwise to raise RPM. Do you have a manual? Download the owners manual from Kawasaki and buy a service manual online.

If cold, choke is a huge help, because it is also a "high idle" setting. After you get your idle set to 2100, try starting it the next time with choke when cold. Do not touch the throttle when starting, at all, ever. That floods the bike and makes it really hard to start. Again, do not touch the throttle. Think of it as a "Do not start" lever.  :ride:

For a cold start, pull the choke. Kick it through a couple full kicks. Full kicks is the key, as this charges your capacitor. To get a full kick you move the kick starter a little bit past TDC and then ratchet kick starter up to the top of the stroke. It may start on the second kick, or even the first if it has run in the last few days. If it does take a third kick, nice smooth kick all the way through should do it.