Sign in to follow this  

Can't get a start after a carb service and rebuild? HELP

I've got a 2008 RM-Z250, just too the carb off and cleaned it out. Used all the gear in the service kit. It changed the main from 180 to 170 and I dropped the needle to 4 from top(previously5). Only dropped it to try to lean it off to stop constant backfire on deceleration. Put a new choke plunger in and reassembled. Turned the fuel screw out 2 turns as per the manual and absolutely nothing! Kicking it over with not the slightest hint of a fire. I'm not to knowledgeable on carb tuning, so any help would be most appreciated. 

Thanks everyone. 

Is it one big backfire, or popping? If you want to stop popping on decel, you should use a slightly bigger pilot jet. The needle is in use from about 20% to 80 of throttle. Needle does not come in to play on decel unless you are decelerating to about mid throttle and holding there. If you are completely letting off the throttle and getting popping, then goes one size bigger on pilot jet.

Make sure you getting fuel to the carb. Did you check the needle and seat to make sure it's working properly after install. Check float level. You can do all this before you install the carb. With carb off the bike, connect the fuel line. turn petcock to on and check for fuel. You can check for fuel spray from here also.

Is it one big backfire, or popping? If you want to stop popping on decel, you should use a slightly bigger pilot jet. The needle is in use from about 20% to 80 of throttle. Needle does not come in to play on decel unless you are decelerating to about mid throttle and holding there. If you are completely letting off the throttle and getting popping, then goes one size bigger on pilot jet.

Make sure you getting fuel to the carb. Did you check the needle and seat to make sure it's working properly after install. Check float level. You can do all this before you install the carb. With carb off the bike, connect the fuel line. turn petcock to on and check for fuel. You can check for fuel spray from here also.

Hi JFM. Thanks for the reply. It is constant popping on decel. I have now managed to get the bike to fire after giving the fuel screw an extra 1/2 turn. It will start with no choke and pulling the choke makes no difference either, no increase in revs or anything. Very odd. I am getting fuel and spray. Thinking the whole thing needs a tweak  just gonna go with any advice offered and try to get the whole thing sorted over the weekend.