Sign in to follow this  

Would you quit riding if the doc suggested it?

My right bicep tendon tore and retracted to a nub over the course of 5 weeks. I put it off bc the arm was just a little weaker, but when I showed my wife how my bicep bulged like Popeye (looked pretty cool) her eyes got big and said I need surgery ASAP.

My wife is an OR nurse, so she was able to put me on the fast track for surgery a few weeks ago. The doc repaired the bicep tendon, reanchored my rotator cuff bc I tore it in 2003, and scraped away arthritic scar tissues.

Now he says don't ride bc it can affect my quality of life decades from now. He related that he shoulda quit running 10 years earlier but the good Dr pushed himself to needing surgery, thus negatively affecting how he can play with his children.

But--what about quality of life today?? I've never once thought of quitting riding.. and I'm seriously torn over what is selfish (keep riding) or what would force me to redefine my life.

You could easily argue that it's selfish to ride FOR ME, but what about imparting the passion to my kids so they can enjoy it too?

I've considered not racing--roll back weight training, ride easier. But can I?? Would riding less and mtn biking more be easier on the shoulder but still fulfill my need for an outlet??

I'm torn.. maybe more so than my tendon was.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

Hard to believe a dr would recommend NOT exercising/ physical therapy for that arm. Maybe not PUSHING it too far too fast , but come on. Get a second opinion for sure.

Joe

• Like 6

Injuries years ago are affecting my "quality of life" now. Some are motorcycle related ,Some are not.

I don't believe we should live our entire life planning our health for retirement.

• Like 3

Dr. Says, 11 years of catching baseball have seemed to tear up my knees, but I see kids still play baseball...

Yeah you need to get that fixed asap. I just had a strain on the same muscle, luckily it's not torn but still put a stop to riding for a while. The Dr. Told me if it was torn that I needed surgery asap or face permanent deficit in that arm. You're better off getting it fixed now and not riding for a while than having a gimpy arm.

• Like 1

I tore my left bicep tendon off at my elbow and had surgery to anchor it to my forearm. I was fifty at the time and got told I had a higher cholesterol count too so I turned my life around and started training and dieting, lost loads of weight and got my fitness to a new level. This promoted me to do the South East England Enduro combine championship (in the vet over 50 class) and won it! Currently sitting fifth in the xc series in the Clubman A class fighting the youngsters ! :)

The point I'm making is, only give up if YOU think you should.

• Like 4

Dirt bikes are pretty much indestructible, people aren't.  After my past several wrecks I think I have finally figured out that my bike came out barely with a scratch, and I end up uber messed up.  It my be time to reevaluate your riding like I am doing after my latest wreck and injuries,  I don't race, but I trail ride at race speeds, I figure on turning that down a bit from now on when I'm able to ride again.  This is something you really need to think about, especially as we get older (you're not as old as me, but you're no kid, either ;) ).

• Like 2

I broke a bone in my hand that had me in a cast for 3 months.  The orthopedic surgeon said: "I have to thank you motorcyclists for my Mercedes, big house, boat, and flying lessons."  He may have been exagerating a bit but his point was ignored.  I returned to see him a couple more times before moving away.  

When I was young we said: "You break - you heal."  Turns out you don't completely, those injurys show up many years later to haunt you.  Sometimes as minor aches, sometimes in bad ways.  I still ride in my mid-60's and won't quit.  But I try to slow down to avoid further injuries. 

I don't want to lay on a couch and live forever.

I'm 55 and have been playing SPORTS HARD since I bought my first baseball glove when I was six. Only thing I've broken so far was a shoulder and that was actually a fluky non sport accident that was fixed with a screw that was eventually removed and other than a slight bit of arthritis when its damp I have never had an issue with it.

For me the worst has being rear ended in 2 different traffic accidents many years ago and got some pretty bad whiplash. At the time there wasn't and real physio etc so I've been living with on and off neck issues for a long time.

For the last 20+ years I've been living in a place where a lot of people get sports related injuries and we have some of the best sports medicine  doctors, physios etc in North America so my advice is get a least a 2nd opinion from people who deal with sports related injuries.

Otherwise, injuries never really get better with age and they will NEVER stop me from enjoying my life while I still can. Life is short and I might have a stroke or die in my sleep tonight so I try to live every day like it might be my last (with in reason :))

On a lighter note, I can still out ride most of my 30 year old buddies

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

At my truly sr stage now my life is absolutely restricted by injuries suffered biking over the years. But I still ride and race as much as possible. Some injuries and some situations do warrant altering your sporting choices , this should be a decision you and your family all agree on. Be sure you get expert medical advice and weigh the info, then make the decision. Personally I see bicycles as dangerous as moto bikes any day. Bicycles and running on hard, uneven surfaces for many many years ruined my back and knees far more than my moto use.   There are many ways to fully enjoy the outdoors without a motorcycle and most of them don't come with the potential of paralysis EVERY second. If I was a young man with small children I would sell my moto stuff. Just my well seasoned thought.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

Can you honestly take a look at your riding history & injuries and see if you could adjust something.  Like do you race, crash, race, crash, etc?  When you race do you feel compelled to hang it out like a mad man?  Do you go back to riding before you are healed and get hurt again?

Sounds like your Dr is saying if you keep getting hurt you will mess up the quality of life in later years.  Certainly if you could ride for several years crash free that would not mess up anything in the future.

For me, I have had fewer injuries in races vs. trail rides.  And fewer injuries in enduros vs. cross country races.  So racing enduros makes sense to me.  The course is marked, they have sweepers, it is rare to meet someone coming the other way, most events are ready to provide medical support if needed, etc.

After an injury, I also come up with my own "cleared to ride again" workout plan.  Like, must be able to run 2 miles, do 30 situps, 20 pushups, etc. before riding again after an injury.  When you clear yourself to ride, you need to be fully ready to ride and have issues (like dumping it on a hard rocky uphill).  Most guys I know start riding as soon as they are able to ride down a basic trail without too much pain.  So they aren't really ready to come back.

• Like 1

I no longer race. Can't do it. Dr.'s tell me to not jump. Had to give up skiing.

Fortunately, I can use skill over bravado and therefore am not the guy holding up the pack. I do like being the last in line as it is fun to watch others crash. My last fall was in the early 90's. Twisted my leg 180 degrees, the 'pop' was so loud people though a bomb went off.

No one can go on and on forever. Just like if a person does an activity and they suffer concussions, they really need to stop doing that activity unless being a vegetable is a-peal-ing.

• Like 1

I wouldn't quit riding, but I would do some physical therapy on your arm and take it slow. My doctor when I broke my arm said no more riding for 1.5 years, well. No. I don't think that they are always right. I did stop and worked it back to strength. But if someone told me not to ride ever again. I'd be like wolverine in that one movie. "Go f urself" haha

My right bicep tendon tore and retracted to a nub over the course of 5 weeks. I put it off bc the arm was just a little weaker, but when I showed my wife how my bicep bulged like Popeye (looked pretty cool) her eyes got big and said I need surgery ASAP.

My wife is an OR nurse, so she was able to put me on the fast track for surgery a few weeks ago. The doc repaired the bicep tendon, reanchored my rotator cuff bc I tore it in 2003, and scraped away arthritic scar tissues.

Now he says don't ride bc it can affect my quality of life decades from now. He related that he shoulda quit running 10 years earlier but the good Dr pushed himself to needing surgery, thus negatively affecting how he can play with his children.

But--what about quality of life today?? I've never once thought of quitting riding.. and I'm seriously torn over what is selfish (keep riding) or what would force me to redefine my life.

You could easily argue that it's selfish to ride FOR ME, but what about imparting the passion to my kids so they can enjoy it too?

I've considered not racing--roll back weight training, ride easier. But can I?? Would riding less and mtn biking more be easier on the shoulder but still fulfill my need for an outlet??

I'm torn.. maybe more so than my tendon was.

I ruptured my bicep tendon at 47 and was riding again two weeks after surgery against docs orders.  I showed up to my surgery followup without my sling and got a lecture about second guessing the doctor.  Your body will tell you when to quit.

• Like 1