magnetic tranny and oil plugs?

Not sure if it's as good of an idea as you think. Most of the internals that wear are aluminum. Once in a while I'll get a few metal specs in my filter they've never magnetic. Once had a grenaded engine that filled the filter with shavings. Even then maybe 4 out of the 1500 specs were magnetic.

Also. Pretty sure most oil with shavings hits your oil filter first. Then the oil pump, which is right where the drain plug is. So I can't see it really picking up that much metal. I could be wrong though.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/oil_filter_magnets/

thats the actual link to the product.

I still dont see the big purpose of it.

blackstone labs was asked about them and this is their response:

...that's a question that we get a lot. Generally, we say those magnets don't hurt anything, but we usually don't see lower wear metals just because they're in use. As an experiment, I ran a stock drain plug and a magnetic one on my two cars and the one car showed no difference in our tests while the other showed improved iron of one ppm with the magnetic plug. That's a finding, but it's not really significant enough for us to endorse those types of products. Still, taking metal out of the oil can't be bad for the engine, just don't expect a huge difference in wear metals. Hope that helps.

If you have to worry about enough metal particles to get caught by a magnet, save the ten bucks and apply it toward your upcoming engine rebuild.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/oil_filter_magnets/

thats the actual link to the product.

I still dont see the big purpose of it.

blackstone labs was asked about them and this is their response:

...that's a question that we get a lot. Generally, we say those magnets don't hurt anything, but we usually don't see lower wear metals just because they're in use. As an experiment, I ran a stock drain plug and a magnetic one on my two cars and the one car showed no difference in our tests while the other showed improved iron of one ppm with the magnetic plug. That's a finding, but it's not really significant enough for us to endorse those types of products. Still, taking metal out of the oil can't be bad for the engine, just don't expect a huge difference in wear metals. Hope that helps.

If you have to worry about enough metal particles to get caught by a magnet, save the ten bucks and apply it toward your upcoming engine rebuild.

You know I cant argue with what is being said here, but its one of those things where I dont see it hurting anything, with a chance it may help. And the biggest reason I am interested is because the drain bolts are wore, the heads look like somebody used a chinese socket on them and I am replacing them. Just thought if I can get magnetic ones I would.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I went to the magnetic engine side drain plug for one reason,  I wanted the aluminum bolt.  Never anything on the magnet even after losing the right side crank seal, rubber and spring ground to crap and the spring parts do stick to a magnet.  I would like to find an aluminum bolt for the trans side.  But even after two oil changes and dragging a strong magnet through the trans oil nothing sticks to it so I agree not much would be gained with magnetic trans bolt except maybe to get lucky and catch a failure a little earlier.

• 2 months later...