Sign in to follow this  

10-40 oil okay?

so I see they recommend 10-50 oil, my dealer said it was okay to use 10-40 conventional for break in. I'm one of those Amsoil guys so would like to use there oil at $10 a quart after break in. Anybody else using 10-40 synthetic?

Hopefully you have the factory owners manual. The bike comes with "break in" oil from the factory and must be changed at 1 hour of use. After that I would stick with what the owners manual recommends - 10W-50 synthetic meeting JASO T903 MA standards. I'm personally a big fan of Amsoil and they offer synthetic oil in the correct weight & specification. I'm sure you can get a thousand other opinions on oil type and brand on this site.

Edited by IAoffroader

Hopefully you have the factory owners manual. The bike comes with "break in" oil from the factory and must be changed at 1 hour of use. After that I would stick with what the owners manual recommends - 10W-50 synthetic meeting JASO T903 MA standards. I'm personally a big fan of Amsoil and they offer synthetic oil in the correct weight & specification. I'm sure you can get a thousand other opinions on oil type and brand on this site.

I don't have a manual but I looked it up. After one hour I changed it to 10-40 conventional and now im looking to do synthetic. I looked at amsoil's website and they said they do not offer the right oil for this bike.

Amsoil does have a 10w50 for this bike, id just run the 20w50, if you cant find it .

never mind I see it now, thank you!

My brother in law ran 10/40 Amsoil in his 500 exc until his last oil change when we realized (thanks to spud) that they now sell 10/50.

0w40

5w40

10w40

15w40

10w50

15w50

20w50

There all fine, the 40 weights are good for all temps if your riding only hot 90+ weather then 50 weight would be a good choice but not necessary. No need to over think it. Just change it every 10-15hrs and absolutely no longer then 20hrs, that's the main thing

• Like 2

Thanks guys, my buddy has a bunch of miles on his 07 450exc and he runs Rotella 5-40, at about $6/quart I'm gonna go with that. Thanks again

Thanks guys, my buddy has a bunch of miles on his 07 450exc and he runs Rotella 5-40, at about $6/quart I'm gonna go with that. Thanks again

amazon has it for 19.99/ gal. thats what i run.

amazon has it for 19.99/ gal. thats what i run.

yeah that's real good, I'll probably order a few gallons on pay day. I paid $21.99 at Walmart

yeah that's real good, I'll probably order a few gallons on pay day. I paid $21.99 at Walmart

25,000+ miles on my 525 with that stuff.

Biggest thing is the friction modifiers - JASO-MA rated oil won't have those like a traditional car oil will have.  That'll kill your clutch fiber discs real fast.

Also, if you want to know real oil change intervals, send a few samples out for analysis.  I go 25-30 hours between changes; over 25k miles that's a lot of $ in oil changes i've saved.

• Like 1

I sent off a BlackStone sample and should get the results sometime in the next day or two from a syn 15-50 / Valvoline diesel 15-40 blend with 16hrs on it......I was just curious as it was still shifting great

Edited by KAG
  • Like 1

Any autoparts stores, Advanced, Autozone etc. carries Mobil 1 4T or Castro RS synthetic for you bike.  Runs about $10qt.  Alot of guys just use the synthetic automotive oil without any issues.  There is no scientific evidence that it will ruin your clutch, Mostly just stories from people claiming there clutch was damaged from not using a JASO rated oil.  if there was it would state to use MC oil only in your manual.  Instead they just recommend it.  Why because there is big profit in it.  

FYI here is the low down on JASO MA:

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

• Like 1