Sign in to follow this  

What's your worst bike breakage?

As the title, what is your worst bike breakage??

I.e. engine blown, wheels broken etc??

Pics and a story would be good, always interested in these sorts of things haha.

Move if in the wrong section too, cheers

Guys with ktms break their bikes all the time, Ask them!

• Like 6

Guys with ktms break their bikes all the time, Ask them!

sounds like a summons for dr.billz lol
  • Like 2

Back in my ATV days I had an 1984 Honda ATC200X 3-wheeler,

sort of sporty machine: 5 speed / manual clutch, front & rear suspension, kick start, narrow front tire etc.

a good performer for the era.

In search of more power I installed a big bore piston kit and high torque camshaft, bored the cylinder myself since I was in trade school.

Anyway after a short break-in riding up/down my street, a bunch of friends and I trailered our bikes to a huge sand pit where I had always wanted to ride.

After about 20 minutes there, a wristpin circlip failed and ruined both the piston and cylinder,

upon teardown the groove worn by the wristpin sliding out was beyond any rebore possible, like 1.5mm deep into the side of the bore.

Knowing it meant another engine teardown I decided "what the hell" since we were there I kept riding it WOT and all.

It still ran 'ok' for the rest of the time there but I must of added about 6 quarts of oil during the day to keep it full.

Oil was literaly dripping out the end of the muffler, no one would follow me as they got sprayed/smoked with major oil roost.

I later rebuilt it back to a stock piston/cam (lucky I had a spare cylinder) and it ran fine for the remaining years in service.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Only time I was ever stranded was my own damn fault. when reassembling my mille's engine, I forgot to loctite (heavy duty 648 application) the flywheel bolt, so it backed out and came free. chewed up the key slot too, and since the crank is forged, I was sure as shit not going to pull that beast of an engine again and split the cases, everything fit back together well enough, so I slathered 648 everywhere that isn't supposed to move and reassembled it properly, and it's been holding for two years and going.

I had an XJ750 seca that I had to hit the starter solenoid with a wrench while holding the ignition button. Rode it like that for a year ($600 bike)

My YZ250 popped a fuel line and burned to the ground. Buddy was on the back when it caught fire and jumped off. I thought, "Why did he jump off? Man the sun is hot on my legs!" Sad day.

• Like 1

My brother in law stalled his bike in the middle of the Silver Lake sand dunes in MI. When he went to start it back up he looked down to find out his kick starter was missing. After failing repeatedly trying to get it push (really pull) started behind a 4 wheeler, 3 of us took turns pushing it all of the way back to the parking lot. 

• Like 1

Well. I haven't had any major breakages myself but I know I guy with a brand,new ktm 150 dropped his bike today. Just a simple tip over on some hard pack. And the pipe was just ruined. I was like wtf that's just sad

Wadded the Beta hard the other day...bent front wheel, bent both radiators, destroyed the pipe, shattered the headlight shroud, and blew the preload adjusters out the top of both forks. It's going to be an expensive crash.

Holy crap!!! And...what happend to you? Hope your ok!

Holy crap!!! And...what happend to you? Hope your ok!

Aside from being a little sore, I'm fine. The back tire momentarily lost traction in a high speed sweeping turn and got turned into a large rock when it regained traction. I was doing about 50 when it happened.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 1

Only time I was ever stranded was my own damn fault. when reassembling my mille's engine, I forgot to loctite (heavy duty 648 application) the flywheel bolt, so it backed out and came free. chewed up the key slot too, and since the crank is forged, I was sure as shit not going to pull that beast of an engine again and split the cases, everything fit back together well enough, so I slathered 648 everywhere that isn't supposed to move and reassembled it properly, and it's been holding for two years and going.

I had an XJ750 seca that I had to hit the starter solenoid with a wrench while holding the ignition button. Rode it like that for a year ($600 bike)

word up homie...I got a xj600 with a haggard sm13 starter from a Polaris quad on it

aside from that nonsense....

I have lost my front brake during not one, but two races....that's fun

on a bodily injury note, I broke the index finger knuckle on my first dirt ride, on a super knarly hill thats no joke (to most/all).. rode out for miles of rocky crap on the broken hand . knew instantly, I HAD to have a trail bike

Edited by bobsled
  • Like 1

One time ages ago I was riding behind someone over some tight terrain and he stopped, I'd just lifted the front to clear a rut and collided with the back of him.  His exhaust went through the side of my tank and petrol went EVERYWHERE... luckily it didn't catch.  I later found the hole to be 100mm high and took a fair portion of the side of the tank out.

Also a few broken cables, they're annoying.

The cylinder on my 82 CR250 cracked all the way around just above the base bolts and went up and down with the piston in the frame,slaming into the cases and cracking them as well as destroying the bottom end lol

• Like 1

On my 84 XL350 I managed to break the air box and suck metal through the carbs and into the engine. On the upstroke of the piston it pushed the spark plug straight out, wiping out all the threads.

I was 14 and dad was a little ok the grumpy side. Bike sat for a while and I rode CT70 while we saved up the cash to repair it.

I filled the engine full of mud once. I've siezed an engine too.

Other than that, just bent subframes and broken hand guards... the last one I had seems to have bent one of the bolts that holds the handle bar clamps on.

Pretty boring.

At a race I was at, one of the guys that didnt finish fell off a small cliff and broke his handlebars in half...

I think he broke is arms too.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

I had a front brake cable installed by a friend before I went riding on my yz, that was my first mistake. The cable came loose and wrapped around my fork, locked up my front wheel and I went over the bars and got knocked out! I was young and we didn't have internet back then! lol

On my kx, I broke the inner clutch cover while installing it. I didn't have the impeller key lined up but still cranked the bolt down and that corner just snapped off. I also pulled my gas tank off before unplugging the fuel pump. Naturally the wires pulled out at the pump, from underneath the epoxy protection.

On my street bike, at some point a piston pin circlip decided to snap apart and have a fun time rattling between the skirt and oil ring, eventually blowing through the skirt. I had just replaced some seals that required removing the piston and cylinder, and I reused the circlips.

I've learned to take my time, watch for resistance (and stop if I feel it), and replace parts that the manual says to replace.