Sign in to follow this  

XR600 driling head big fins (ironhead)

hi

i found this nice way to good cooling ironheads, can i do it (drilling) after when ill weld

my new big fin head on xr600? can i also do same with cylinder, for better cooling?

what us think?

THANKS!

2 (2).jpg

1.jpg

hi

i found this nice way to good cooling ironheads, can i do it (drilling) after when ill weld

my new big fin head on xr600? can i also do same with cylinder, for better cooling?

what us think?

THANKS!

I'm no physicist or racer but I don't think that would help with heat.  I'd say that is for lightening up the assembly.  I think that by removing metal you would be removing heat sink and decrease the ability to dissipate heat.  

Aluminum is a far better conductor than air.  I think you want more aluminum to absorb and transfer heat away from the cylinder.  Now, changing air across the surface of the fins as fast as possible would certainly help but I don't think removing aluminum would.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

If you do the math you'll probably find drilling reduced total surface area exposed to the air while possibly increasing airflow. With less mass temperature is likely less stable too- surging up faster under load and cooling quicker off load. Big problem is the fins become far easier to break off after drilling. More of a weight reducing measure than anything else and only mildly successful at that.

Edited by valvesrule

If those holes were inline with the wind direction I can see that maybe helping but not on a head like these. You need more fins instead of reducing mass of the ones you already have.

Edited by jjktmrider

so, why this big fins head on xr600 are so known and a lot of people are doing it? they just weld bigger fins on head,

what about cylinder fins? weld it bigger fins on cylinder aswell , and forget drilling?

so, why this big fins head on xr600 are so known and a lot of people are doing it? they just weld bigger fins on head,

what about cylinder fins? weld it bigger fins on cylinder aswell , and forget drilling?

most of the heat is generated in the combustion chamber so it makes sense to add more cooling to the head. piston/ cylinder generates heat from friction but not as much as the head so adding fins here wont help so much. i would agree that drilling will weaken something already fragile and is not worth the effort.

Edited by garthr

Yes, big fins are good. Yes, forget about drilling. No cylinder fins.

An oil cooler and big fin head is a good combination.

ok, thank you for answers guys!!!

just one more :

because this engine will be all the time on motocross/enduro track (full throttle),because without registration.

and it make sense to weld big fins on cylinder ? i just repeat : full throttle all the time...

thx!!!

they are doing same with cylinder , shame write... your greatest experience is to pour fuel and drive into the forest

http://www.omegaracer.com/parts_store/prod_2881734-Yamaha-SR-Engine-Cooling-Fins.html#sthash.jlpYPajx.oYRQjWuN.dpbs

seen his photo on the bottom of the page? i think if someone was doing it is something on things.

dont know how to check of lower operating temperature...

end next difference between xr600 big fins and sr500 is : they dont weld it , just connect springs... ???? WTF ???

there is two ideas to make big fins , but i think nobody know on 100% which is the best....

everyone can weld it and be excited how pretty it is... but biggest question is: how to do it properly and

purpose for many years and the removal of the problem overheat

http://www.omegaracer.com/parts_store/prod_2881734-Yamaha-SR-Engine-Cooling-Fins.html#sthash.jlpYPajx.oYRQjWuN.dpbs

seen his photo on the bottom of the page? i think if someone was doing it is something on things.

dont know how to check of lower operating temperature...

end next difference between xr600 big fins and sr500 is : they dont weld it , just connect springs... ???? &%$#@! ???

there is two ideas to make big fins , but i think nobody know on 100% which is the best....

Welded is functional while spring on is bling bling. There's no question about that whatsoever. In electronic ignitions leaving out the silicone grease that promotes heat conductance out of the module  is frequently enough of a problem to melt the module. I don't see any grease zerks on the springy thingy? You need direct surface to surface contact not just proximity for the conductance thing to work, hence welding. Spings are just going to leave a heat barrier at the point of contact, assuming there actually IS a point of contact and it's going to be marginally effective at best. It's a gimmick not an effective modification. Makes it look cool more than run cool. My former career tells me that. You can put some spring stuff on if you want. Tell us all how it works please.

• Like 1

Seems like the spring-attachment method would invite rattling or buzzing at certain rpms.

Without a doubt. Probably buzzing until enough fatigue starts rattling. When the resonant frequency or a multiple is reached it would likely sing. Even welded fins can make noise though as the resonant is going to be a lower frequency because of the larger mass created by welding.

i dont undestand you guys... what language is that??? even translator cant translate it... can you write clear english or

USA ???

Seems like the spring-attachment method would invite rattling or buzzing at certain rpms.

thats good thinking ...

i dont undestand you guys... what language is that??? even translator cant translate it... can you write clear english or

USA ???

"it's going to be marginally effective at best." WTF ?????

mele le mememelele mem keszke w meszke czaisz ziomus ?czyz baniaka zajebac???

this is like: bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla x100..........