Sign in to follow this  

Little bikes around big bikes.. Dangers.

So today, out at croom I was riding a line I had been hitting all day, it's in a big sand pit where 15 riders at a time are able to roam freely and be sort of safe from colliding. But there were neumerous little kids on jr sized bikes. Honda 50 cc's litteree the area. So I make sure I'm where no one really is. Then I go to hit the jump off the face of a berm. And some f#$@ing kid comes just strolling past. I was 3rd gear pinned.. Grabbed all the front brake possible and hoped for the best, ended up going over the face of the jump, getting a tiny bit of air and coming down on the front. On the brakes, 1 MAJOR endo later. I get up and my shoulder is bleeding, grrrrr. I think honestly that they should have separate areas as to where little bikes and big bikes can ride. Those kids needed to be in the kid area. Park watch didn't do sh!t about it and they watched it happen.. Lol. Maybe I'm going off on a rant because I am sore and bleeding. But it is frustrating.

• Like 1

That's a risk you take riding in a 'public' area where there is no autority to supervise and apply safety rules.

You can't rely on other people's common sense for your safety, unfortunately many don't have any at all when riding.

At dunes you also have much heavier vehicles around you to consider: ATV's, dune buggies, 4x4's

in the event of a crash they will hurt you more than hitting another bike.

Reason I choose to only ride at closed course MX tracks, much safer in my opinion.

Despite riders of different speed/skill level at least everyone is going in the same

direction around the track, no head-on or side swipe risks like you've encountered.

Plus always some track autority presence to pull rule offenders / dangerous riders off the track.

At 15-20 years old I wouldn't of cared, but when you mature enough you realise that dirtbiking in itself is a high risk activity,

no reason to increase your risks of injury due to other people's stupidity.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Maybe a little 'heart to heart/come to Jesus' discussion with Dad was in order.

I was riding (following her) on a trail at a public area once with my daughter then 6 years old when she was cut off by a teenage boy jumping a low side hill that was nowhere near a trail. He crossed in front of her and missed her by maybe 3-4'. Completely clear vision of us, no rhyme or reason to why he did what he did. Needless to say, I lit him up and was really wishing he wasn't a minor.

I prefer to keep it in the woods away from the knuckleheads.

That's a risk you take riding in a 'public' area where there is no autority to supervise and apply safety rules.

You can't rely on other people's common sense for your safety, unfortunately many don't have any at all when riding.

At dunes you also have much heavier vehicles around you to consider: ATV's, dune buggies, 4x4's

in the event of a crash they will hurt you more than hitting another bike.

Reason I choose to only ride at closed course MX tracks, much safer in my opinion.

Despite riders of different speed/skill level at least everyone is going in the same

direction around the track, no head-on or side swipe risks like you've encountered.

Plus always some track autority presence to pull rule offenders / dangerous riders off the track.

At 15-20 years old I wouldn't of cared, but when you mature enough you realise that dirtbiking in itself is a high risk activity,

no reason to increase your risks of injury due to other people's stupidity.

yeah man. I do think that it is safer at the track. Turns out I bruised the bone! I'm 15 and common sense tells me when I was riding a 50 that big bikes are scary

I have two kids on 50s and our local riding spot has a small (kiddie) track where everyone can ride. If there are big bike out my kids stay clear,if it's just kids they will ride for hours. Its when the kids are riding and a few big bikes show up that there is and issue and as far as I'm concerned KIDS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY, kids don't have the option to ride wherever they want, they are the ones that will be seriously injured or worse In a collision. Whether on the track or trail always yield to the kiddos.

• Like 2

Quite a few times I've seen very close calls or crashes with kids on MX tracks that could of been avoided if only their parents had

had enough judgement not to let their kids ride on the main track too soon but rather practice on the beginner or intermediate level tracks

until their skill level and experience allowed them to keep their line and safely ride with more experienced / faster riders.

In any case I agree, when kids are riding around it's up to adult riders to be extra vigilant and if possible anticipate what could go wrong.

When a slower kid is holding me up on the track I always keep back not to put pressure on them and wait until the next straightaway to do a clean pass.

Edited by mlatour

I have two kids on 50s and our local riding spot has a small (kiddie) track where everyone can ride. If there are big bike out my kids stay clear,if it's just kids they will ride for hours. Its when the kids are riding and a few big bikes show up that there is and issue and as far as I'm concerned KIDS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY, kids don't have the option to ride wherever they want, they are the ones that will be seriously injured or worse In a collision. Whether on the track or trail always yield to the kiddos.

yeah man. I made sure he would be safe, I would much rather be hurt than to get in an accident that potentially could nearly kill a young rider. 250 pounds of metal doesn't yeild, I did tho

I agree. I ride croom once a month and it gets really out of hand. I was on my xr250r my buddy was on a crf 450r and my other buddy was on a full mod 150r. Almost everywhere we went it was little kids and we couldnt take it over 3rd gear.

They ahould definitely have a separate area for younger kids and smaller bikes.

Quite a few times I've seen very close calls or crashes with kids on MX tracks that could of been avoided if only their parents had

had enough judgement not to let their kids ride on the main track too soon but rather practice on the beginner or intermediate level tracks

until their skill level and experience allowed them to keep their line and safely ride with more experienced / faster riders.

In any case I agree, when kids are riding around it's up to adult riders to be extra vigilant and if possible anticipate what could go wrong.

When a slower kid is holding me up on the track I always keep back not to put pressure on them and wait until the next straightaway to do a clean pass.

I am always blown away when I'm riding at a local spot I frequent, and the "experts only" track has some dad and his very young boy riding on this track. The dad following behind as if that is somehow protecting his boy. You have to be some kind of idiot to put your children in such mortal danger. It would be soooo easy to hit a jump with them on the other side, and land on the guys kid. It has almost happened to me, I came literally a couple of feet from landing on a kid before. The track should be keeping a close eye on this sort of thing!

I am always blown away when I'm riding at a local spot I frequent, and the "experts only" track has some dad and his very young boy riding on this track. The dad following behind as if that is somehow protecting his boy. You have to be some kind of idiot to put your children in such mortal danger. It would be soooo easy to hit a jump with them on the other side, and land on the guys kid. It has almost happened to me, I came literally a couple of feet from landing on a kid before. The track should be keeping a close eye on this sort of thing!

it will most likely be too late for them. Kid gets landed on and hurt boom lawsuit for the track or park and it's shut down.

Over 20 years ago, I lived in Orlando and would go to Croom 2 or 3 times a week. What a great place that is, glad to hear it's still in operation. Back then, there were almost no children riding, I can only imagine the chaos that goes on today, especially on weekends. This day and age, it's all about the children [they're our future, you know], best to avoid them if they're around