Sign in to follow this  

California Registration of vintage motocross bike in California?

I have imported my old 1983 Maico 490 from Sweden in parts over the years. I have had this bike from 1984 and it was given to me as part of my sponsorship that season. There was no papers involved as none was required back in those days in Sweden for racing vehicles. Now that it is back together I plan on racing the retro/vintage races on the west coast. My local practice track requires a spark arrestor (done) and a "green sticker". Now that's the problem, I can't make heads or tails what the DMV website says and the local DMV office gives me a different answer every time I ask. Any help on the situation would be appreciated, I am stumped.

PS.  My center case has been damaged and a weld obscures a couple of numbers but the remaining ones match the frame number... 

100_1591.JPG

I have imported my old 1983 Maico 490 from Sweden in parts over the years. I have had this bike from 1984 and it was given to me as part of my sponsorship that season. There was no papers involved as none was required back in those days in Sweden for racing vehicles. Now that it is back together I plan on racing the retro/vintage races on the west coast. My local practice track requires a spark arrestor (done) and a "green sticker". Now that's the problem, I can't make heads or tails what the DMV website says and the local DMV office gives me a different answer every time I ask. Any help on the situation would be appreciated, I am stumped.

PS.  My center case has been damaged and a weld obscures a couple of numbers but the remaining ones match the frame number... 

Go to a third party place and look into "Specialty Construction."  Same thing as if you built a home grown Harley.  They may have better ideas.  Call a few CA bike builders and ask for a reference to a good knowledgeable 3rd party registration company that already knows how to turn a box of parts into a legal registration.

PS - If it maters,,,  AZ does not need an engine number.

PSS - If that bike was also a US bike...  not sure I'd even bring up the fact that it is from another country.  I lost my title many years ago and need to get a bonded title might be all you need...  again discuss it with a 3rd party registration company.  

It was a 83 GP bike that was pretty much a prototype, the cases and front steering head section were about the only origin parts when it was consigned to me for the 84 season. no paperwork or title was ever recorded as Maico was in shambles in 84 and the teams were allowed to raid the stockrooms in a effort to put something together to be competitive, it was chaotic to say the least.

• Like 1

I think you got good info above.... so I am here to just comment on bike! Very cool bike- if it is as said about being a ex factory bike, you should hand cuff it to your wraist! again very cools...

there is this guy - he deals in alot of ex factory bikes- might be worth a talk with him!  http://azmikesvmxbikes.com/

Edited by race-desert
  • Like 1

I registered a 1988 CR 500 that the DMV had no record of and they tried passing off a red sticker to me. I threw a stink and let them know that bikes 2002 and earlier are grandfathered in for green sticker regardless of smog/epa/vin number stuff. After about 30 minutes of arguing with the manager they pulled out their rule book and confirmed what I told them all along. They issued me the green sticker that day.

• Like 1

I've done this twice before and its been a fairly simple process, except for the wait time at the dmv...

I suspect this route is probably easier and less costly than special construction and will get your bike titled correctly as an 83 Maico 490

Take your bike to the dmv for a VIN verification

At both of my local dmv offices, there is no appointment required, you drive up to the lane where they start driving tests (one branch is larger and has a seperate lane for vehicle verifications)

When the inspector arrives tell them you have this old bike that is out of the system and you want to get it registered.

Personally I would not go in to great detail about the bike origins, you never know if the inspector is going to be friendly or not, even though it is a 30+ year old bike....

The inspector will look for the VIN and the Motor numbers (and in my case, ask me what make and model the bike was) and fill out a REG 31 form.

Once you have the REG 31 form, take it inside (or make an appointment and do it later) and submit along with a completed REG 343 and fees to complete the transaction and get your reg card and sticker.

Now you can drive directly to the track and ride!

The easier you can make this process on the inspector, the better, mainly, have the numbers accessable and easily viewed. Remember, they work at the DMV...

Your mileage may vary depending on if you get a reasonable inspector or not, but I'd have to think that if the majority of the engine numbers matched the frame, and they could see the repair job, there wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I've done this twice and had no problems

If you prefer, you could also get your VIN verified at your local CHP field station, however I would recommend calling first to see if you need to make an appointment.

I have to make a VIN inspector app at the CHP and get a "blue" tag? Then go to DMV and deal with them. Talked with a CHP who has a 79 Yamaha 465 and he was all over my bike just reliving his memories. He said it should be no problem, just paperwork and getting a good worker at the DMV, there are some good people in the system here. It was cool just bullshitting and bench racing with the officer.

CHP vin check appointment with a Maico website printout showing model frame/engine #'s, then picking the right DMV clerk who rode MX in his younger days at Carlsbad and a lot of bench racing conversation to break up his monotonous day, $52 and a happy smile when walking out the door.