Sign in to follow this  

Woods riding with trials bike

Hi guys, 1st post.

Looking to get back into enduro. In the past, I had a CR250 and KTM 250XC-W

Both were great bikes however a little tall since I'm only 5'5"

I am looking at getting another bike and have considered a lowering link and shaving the seat foam which I have previously done.

I saw that Beta has a seat/gas tank combo for their trials bike. Keep in mind that I ride tight, rocky woods and mostly in 1st and 2nd gear.

Would a light weight, low seat height trials bike be a viable option for woods riding?

I understand that high speed wouldn't be ideal considering the soft suspension but it is worth looking into for tight singletrack?

Thanks!

Edited by Jason777

Hi guys, 1st post.

Looking to get back into enduro. In the past, I had a CR250 and KTM 250XC-W

Both were great bikes however a little tall since I'm only 5'5"

I am looking at getting another bike and have considered a lowering link and shaving the seat foam which I have previously done.

I saw that Beta has a seat/gas tank combo for their trials bike. Keep in mind that I ride tight, rocky woods and mostly in 1st and 2nd gear.

Would a light weight, low seat height trials bike be a viable option for woods riding?

I understand that high speed wouldn't be ideal considering the soft suspension but it is worth looking into for tight singletrack?

Thanks!

check out the new Ktm freeride. It's kinda a hybrid dirt/trials bike.

My buddy rode his when I would ride my XR rather than my yz. Cooked his legs but went faster than expected. Hilly and technical, But also some 3rd-4th stuff. Biggest issue seemed to be very large hills. Not much of an ability to recoup if off balance. The seat should change that.

Edited by Wonderspoon

Seen it. Beta X Trainer too.

I'm looking for something used under 4k.

what was wrong with your 250 xcw?

The xcw was too tall. I'm not an advanced rider and in the rough stuff I had a hard time with the size and height of the bike.

Seems like a trials bike with a seat can be a good compromise between a real enduro bike and a CR80

• Like 1

200 xcw? Or 150 xc? Both within your price range. Ergos on the older 200s (not sure what years) I have heard to be smallest and share the frame with the 125.

You are better off getting a regular bike not a trials. Although if u ever get interested, many trials riding skills will make u a much better dirt bike rider - many techniques.

Betas 250/300 also have lower seat heights which would be perfect if u can find one used - they would be a perfect single track bike.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg

Watch some of these videos and see what can be done on the beta 300rr. He is very in depth too and has good info

Does anyone here have experience riding trials bikes offroad? I can pick up a Beta trials bike alot cheaper than an enduro.

Trials bikes are a blast. In super tight single track I can hang with any bike. Your lower back will get tired at a fast pace. The most fun is just climbing hills, crossing creeks, jumping logs and rocks. They are really fun in the winter when the foilage dies down. Just head out into the woods where there are no trails and make your own trail. I was hanging with a 300xcw and a 500xc in some tight stuff riding my 07 Gasgas 280. Plus you can have fun anywhere.

Honestly if ALL you were doing were 3rd and under I'd say go for it.  My guess is that like most of us, you click it a bit higher from time to time.  One thing to think about is your riding partners.  There is enough difference between the bikes that you may find that you start to gravitate toward different kinds of riding.  Not as much fun if you're having totally different mojo.  If I were you I would pick up a good KTM 200 and have it revalved and lowered an inch or two internally.  That will make a huge difference and you get a custom revalve at the same time.  A good tuner will know how much you can reasonably give up in travel. Then you'll have a great tight woods bike that is low enough and has 80+mile range without as much compromise.  I'm thinking budget-wise this is your best bang for the buck............BUT

This guy compares some other options too.  I have heard good things about all of the bikes he mentions.

https://ktmfreeride250.wordpress.com/freeride-comparison-to-explorer-xcw-x-ride/

Many people use them as modded woods bike so there's tons of info on it. Adding a flywheel weight might also be something to consider or changing gearing as the gears (especially first) are going to be a little too tall for tight woods use. Won't be as good as a specifically built woods bike but you can get it set up to your liking without too much trouble

Get the Beta!! Out here on the west coast a lot of people ride trials bikes as endure bikes. Only problem is small gas tank but you can carry extra fuel. If your doing tight technical riding this will make a better bike than the enduro bike while learning. Once your riding progresses then think about the bigger bike. You will have more fun on a smaller more manageable bike for your skill level than having to have the big bike!! A old Yamaha TY 250/350 make a great bike for that type of riding and can take the beating parts are still available you can also find a cheap parts bike.

Husa Islander, that's exactly what I thinking.

I'll take squishy low travel suspension in exchange for sub 175lbs and low seat height vs high seat, high center of gravity and heavier.

I assume it will be the equivalent to my Jeep Wrangler on 37" tires. It will go everywhere, just have to keep it slow and respect it's limits.

Edited by Jason777