Sign in to follow this  

2001 wr250f head ?

Short answer YES.

01 has De-Comp lever for starting.  03 is first year of Auto De-comp cam, so an upgrade to Auto De-comp cam is a preferred mod.  We did it to our 02 and never looked back.  You don't have to remove the lever on the bars or at the head.  They make a plug with 0-ring to replace the lever in the head and seal the hole.

You have to match piston with head past a certain year (somebody else chime in here), I don't know which.  Easy way is order 03 piston for 03 head, 05 piston for 05 head etc.

Jug should be good to go, interchangeable up past 08 I think.  Ask others to chime in on that one.

The biggest deal on it is the coating.  You need to make sure its serviceable and within spec.

Serviceable; coating doesn't have chunks out of it and it hasn't siezed

Spec; with new piston in the jug, must be within the service limits in the book.  Can't remember off the top of my head.

Use scotchbrite pad or if you're careful, 3 turns of the hones to prep the sides for new rings to break in.

Run 30 min at light loads running up and down rpm band and let off at higher rpm to suck oil up there to wash out the debris.

Change oil, same drill, a little heavier loading, change oil.  You're good to go.

Use new gaskets.