Sign in to follow this  

Fe 501s / KTM 500 exc f top speed?

I am 155 pounds I saw 94 once in fifth gear on my stone stock 2015 husky with the stock gearing before I shifted to sixth. There was gobs of power and throttle left. I have a feeling this bike will pull 105 with my skinny ass on it! Two problems. The front end was getting light and twitchy and I ran out of road! I now have uncorked her and won't know till I get to Baja how fast she will actually go. Any feedback?

1447551173417.jpg

I am 155 pounds I saw 94 once in fifth gear on my stone stock 2015 husky with the stock gearing before I shifted to sixth. There was gobs of power and throttle left. I have a feeling this bike will pull 105 with my skinny ass on it! Two problems. The front end was getting light and twitchy and I ran out of road! I now have uncorked her and won't know till I get to Baja how fast she will actually go. Any feedback?

6th gear is pretty tall, stock gearing is capable of 120mph , the motor however is not.

111 mph indicated and 109mph gps going against no headwind on a flat is my best,  Im perfectly balanced so easily a one handed operation.  I cant do that with any kind of headwind on a flat about 105 max

Offroad, I would expect 105mph to come up short unless geared just right.

Ive done 102 mph indicated in 5th, on the road

Edited by Spud786

Impressive! I was curious. Most people seem to gear their 500 down. I am happy with my stock 15/ 45 now that I am used to the motor. I had tried a 46 t rear but now realize KTM has really engineered the gear ratios perfectly. I find 1st thru 3rd plenty low for the off road ridding I do. Lowering the gearing even slightly really shortened the power delivery and created excess wheel spin. I get much faster acceleration and more traction with the stock gearing even in tight woods work. This has been my experience with most open class dirt bikes. I am sure my bike has the power to pull taller gears however it may not be necessary. I will take a 43 rear to Baja and see how she tears through the sand washes. Thanks for the feedback.

Im presently running a 46 rear, but didn't notice much, probably cause I went from an aluminum 45 to a heavier steel sprocket 46. The weight momentum, took out alittle of the ummph for what little difference there is.

But Im with you its geared pretty good for dual sport, but offroad only id probably go to a 48 .

The weight difference between these sprockets will not be noticeable in any way! I've run steel sprockets on many bikes there is an unnoticeable difference. What I am experiencing with my 46 rear is a difference in hard acceleration due to the fact the gear ratio is lower. It gives the bike the feel that each gear is shorter and runs out quicker. The taller your bike is geared the further the distance you travel in each gear before shifting. The further you travel the more the speed increases. The physics experienced on an open class dirt bike during hard acceleration is different than let's say a drag race car do to the rear wheel spinning. Logic might suggest lower gearing would produce faster acceleration. In my case when I whack the throttle in lets say third gear the bike would accelerate further as the power and rpms increase and reach a higher speed quicker with the 45 tooth than the 46t rear. KTM really nailed the gear ratio right on. I prefer the stock gearing and will stick with it. I do ride very fast I often (daily) see 80 in the dirt and its nice not having the bike wound out at these speeds where wheel spin can get you in trouble especially now that we are finally seeing rain in n California.

I do a lot of off road on my 500 lower gearing would make the wheel spin unmanageable in low traction situations especially mud! Higher gearing keeps rpms lower at the speeds I ride. This bike has gobs of tractor like torque and power stock!

The weight difference between these sprockets will not be noticeable in any way! I've run steel sprockets on many bikes there is an unnoticeable difference. What I am experiencing with my 46 rear is a difference in hard acceleration due to the fact the gear ratio is lower. It gives the bike the feel that each gear is shorter and runs out quicker. The taller your bike is geared the further the distance you travel in each gear before shifting. The further you travel the more the speed increases. The physics experienced on an open class dirt bike during hard acceleration is different than let's say a drag race car do to the rear wheel spinning. Logic might suggest lower gearing would produce faster acceleration. In my case when I whack the throttle in lets say third gear the bike would accelerate further as the power and rpms increase and reach a higher speed quicker with the 45 tooth than the 46t rear. KTM really nailed the gear ratio right on. I prefer the stock gearing and will stick with it. I do ride very fast I often (daily) see 80 in the dirt and its nice not having the bike wound out at these speeds where wheel spin can get you in trouble especially now that we are finally seeing rain in n California.

I consider the 500 a mid range motor, this effects the gearing ratio output also in the upper rpms, I cant hit the rev limiter in 5th or 6 gear with a 15/ 46.

I did notice a loss of cruising comfort mph, with the 46, as I could cruise 92 mph with a 45 , but the 46, its more like 89 mph, actual top speed I lost nothing, probably could add another tooth, but not willing to sacrifice any cruising mph comfort.

I understand what your are saying on the rev out of each gear, BTDT.  and did notice a slight tightening with the 46 in the ratios

keep in mind the 45 is really hard on the front chain slider, a 43 will be worse,  cause the chain wears out the slider in the bolt area rather quickly.  I actually went to a TM designs factory $80 model, that is wearing well, also the stock chain guard aides too, with not wearing out the side guide on the TM set up. 

Edited by Spud786

The speeds and conditions I am referring to are in the dirt. I actually tiptoe around on the pavement to preserve my drivers license. This is why I stick to bikes that barely do 100 miles an hour on the highway. At 44 years old I'm not the most mature motorcycle rider. It doesn't take much to initiate a bar bangin contest at over 80 miles an hour. Off road I'm an animal. in California if you get caught going 100 its a reckless endangerment! You go straight to jail. Where I live we are lucky to have a lot of well maintained County dirt roads and Forest Service roads that will take us from here to the Canadian border if we choose and only cross the pavement maybe three times from Willits to the Oregon border. Even on these roads we cross paths with the occasional County sheriff or Forest service Ranger. The trick is knowing when and where to expect them. Gearing preference is exactly that a personal preference. We got an inch of rain last night I'm only waiting for it to get a little more light out and will set out on a 200 mile round trip journey today. 99% of it will be dirt rather mud I guarantee I will see speeds of over 80 miles an hour and will hang out for hours at hitting 70 constantly. This is not my only open class dirt bike. I own wait I have to count. Drz 400 wr426 xr650r fe501s klr 650 then there's the small bores klx 300, kdx 200, wr 250r. They are all in top notch condition maintained by myself and no none of them are for sale. I miss my kx 500 to death I only sold it due to a total right knee replacement in 13. I might as well hsve shot myself in the knee than continued kick starting the mean green! I have geared every one of these bikes taller than stock throttle on time to get geared up and spin a wheel!

The offroad in my area is limited, lots of free rein country super moto roads though, with nobody around.

I take the offroad when I can get it, and find it, usually unfenced creek bottoms or drainage areas, too much rain has hindered what I have.

I occasionally kick start my 500 exc, to stay in kick start shape, not sure if it better or worse than my cr500 2 stroke was. although Ive never seen the 500 exc kick back like a 500 2stroke. Also put 40,000 miles on a DRZ.

Save your knee! Spud786! If you know the drill and know how to find that sweet spot past tds your bike could fire on first kick every time! KTM put a starter on these bikes for a reason! Neither a cr 500 or a KTM 500 have a decompression lever. I don't pitty you. I once stalled my kx 500 in the sand dunes at horse tail falls Oregon sand dunes north of coos bay . The top end was brand new with about 10 minutes on it. Long story short I eventually got it started and vowed to never own a kick start bike again. I still own a few Whaaa! My right knee has been shot for over half my life. We are not kids any more use the happy button!

1447639352609.jpg