Sign in to follow this  

CR 125 Bogging Issues

I need some help with my 2001 CR 125. Periodically I will be going around in a field and I it will just start bogging. I pull in the clutch and try to rev it back up... that doesn't do anything so I put it in gear and slowly play with it and bring the rpm up high, thus clearing the bogging. Sometimes it just about stalls. Recently, I went for a ride, it started to bog and this time I could not clear it. It stalled. :( I'm not sure what is wrong with the carb?

I actually just tried to start it since it bogged and stalled. First I removed the spark plug, and torched it. (It was dripping wet.) I put the spark plug back in and started it up. It started right up, I gave it a quick bit of gas and then it started bogging again! Before I could even put it into gear, it stalled. I tried this procedure multiple times except I changed the clip position of the needle before I cleaned the spark plug. It didn't do anything. The day before the cr bogged and stalled for the first time, I went for a long ride and got it real muddy. So, when I was done, I used a 4,000 psi pressure washer and cleaned all the mud off. I have heard it said that it is dangerous to use a pressure washer on a dirt bike and I have heard that it is safe to use a pressure washer? :confused:  The only thing that I can think of is that I shot water some place that would hurt the engine? Maybe there is water in the top end and the engine is having a hard time burning it out? It is defiantly a fuel problem; it sounds like it is starving for fuel.

If your plug is dripping wet with fuel, than you are running super rich. If you just rode in the mud, you may have a filter that is seriously restricting airflow causing a rich condition.

You have to be careful when pressure washing a bike,

if you get too close to rubber seals the pressure can push dirt/water past them into sensitive areas :

Wheel bearings, electrical connections, suspension linkage etc. etc. where moisture, dirt and rust will cause problems later on.

When a bike doesn't run well most often it can be solved by fine tuning it or by troubleshooting a mechanical problem but,

eventualy major components do wear out, at some point no amount of tuning can compensate for that.

That is an old engine, do you have any maintenance history of when it was last fully refurbished (crank, top-end, reeds etc.) ?

With a dripping wet plug, perhaps it's fouled and misfires. Replace it with a new one.

If the new plug still comes out wet, check the carburator's fuel level making sure the float, inlet needle and seat are in good condition and properly adjusted.

Thoroughly clean your carburator, confirm the jet sizes are original. (stock jetting might be a tad lean for cooler fall weather)

Check your reeds, if any aren't fully sealing around their edges or have chipped edges they're worn out.

Clean your air filter in kerosene, then in a bucket of warm water with dish soap, let it dry fully.  Don't over-oil it afterwards.

Edited by mlatour

I tried changing the spark plug to a br8es (original is a br9es). Like normal it started right up and I was able to pop it into gear and go! It was trying to bog but I was able to get into gear, and put it into power band and burn off the bogging. After going for a decent ride and then shutting off the fuel,  I checked the spark plug, and it was a nice grey. Usually, with the standard spark plug it was black. The next day, I tried to start it, and it did, but before I could put it into gear, it bogged (stalled). So back to square one, I pulled the spark plug out and it was soaked. (After trial and error, I figured out that if I bogged a spark plug, then no mater how long you torched it, I could not reuse it). I put a brand new br8es back in and it started I got it going and went for a ride. Before I shut if off I turned the fuel off, and ran the carburetor out of fuel. The next time I took it for a ride, it ran great. It never even bogged ! Still there its a problem with the carburetor. I can't run the carb out of fuel every time I shut it off. Could the float be sticking, and letting fuel into the engine even though the fuel is off? I don't know if I should rip apart the carburetor and rebuild it? Or maybe have a look at the floats? Yes, the engine just had a rebuild. Thank you for your quick responses!