Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400SM on 18/21 wheels

So this afternoon I managed to swap out my stock SM wheels out with some "S" wheels in my garage.  And I say manage because other than changing my oil and filter, I've never done anything on my bike as complex haha.  Total newbie when it comes to this stuff.

So it felt pretty good accomplishing such a feat :D

Took me a couple hours because I was having a little trouble trying to figure out how to take the rear SM wheel out.  Ended up having to take out the chain guide in order to get some clearance.  Also, adjusting the rear with the axle blocks was such a freakin' headache for

me because once you set the distance the way you wanted it would change ever so slightly once you tightened the axle which in turn would end up tightening the chain way too much.  Anyway, here are some pics...

Rear Tire:  Dunlop D606 130/90-18

Front Tire:  Pirelli MT21 90/90-21

Sprocket:  44T

Speedo Drive:  DRZ400S OEM (Part# 54600-29F00)

IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_7780.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

Edited by LetMeBRAAAPthat
  • Like 1

Good job. You'll get faster the more you do it. Takes me about 20 mins to get from street to dirt form. Love having both wheel sets.

Thanks man!  Yeah, the mistakes I made I've definitely learned from and the next time I swap them out it will be much quicker.  Honestly, so glad I have the ability to just swap out the bike's capabilities just like that.  Such a versatile machine.  Love it.

• Like 2

Definitely! Have fun. Mines in dirt form now. Going for a quick braap up the mountain before football starts tomorrow.

Ive always wondered what mine would look like with a set of dirt wheels . After seeing your pics ( I have the same model SM ) , it makes me want to do it now , greg

• Like 1

I plan on doing this later this week.  Where did you get the 310mm front rotor?  Did you get a second chain?  (1 for each setup)  Did you watch any specific videos before you did it?  (links?) 

Also did you change out the tires yourself?  If so did you buy a tool kit that goes on your bike for flat repairs?  (links)

Thanks!

Shawn

I plan on doing this later this week.  Where did you get the 310mm front rotor?  Did you get a second chain?  (1 for each setup)  Did you watch any specific videos before you did it?  (links?) 

Also did you change out the tires yourself?  If so did you buy a tool kit that goes on your bike for flat repairs?  (links)

Thanks!

Shawn

- Used rotors are out there or you can a new one, its up to you.

- I found no need for a second chain when I did it but lots of people do it that way.

- I change dirt tires myself but had a shop do the 17" tires. I use Motion Pro T-6 Combo Levers and carry them with me when I ride.

Edited by ptgarcia

So this afternoon I managed to swap out my stock SM wheels out with some "S" wheels in my garage.  And I say manage because other than changing my oil and filter, I've never done anything on my bike as complex haha.  Total newbie when it comes to this stuff.
So it felt pretty good accomplishing such a feat :D
Took me a couple hours because I was having a little trouble trying to figure out how to take the rear SM wheel out.  Ended up having to take out the chain guide in order to get some clearance.  Also, adjusting the rear with the axle blocks was such a freakin' headache for
me because once you set the distance the way you wanted it would change ever so slightly once you tightened the axle which in turn would end up tightening the chain way too much.  Anyway, here are some pics...

Rear Tire:  Dunlop D606 130/90-18
Front Tire:  Pirelli MT21 90/90-21
Sprocket:  44T
Speedo Drive:  DRZ400S OEM (Part# 54600-29F00)

congrats on making the dizzer a proper dualsport :D 

if you swap the swingarm to an E or S you can use the E/S axle, which is a lot easier/faster for chain adjustments when swapping wheels (and their different sprocket sizes)

i've never understood why the SM got that crappy street bike inspired adjuster slapped on it. 

I plan on doing this later this week. Where did you get the 310mm front rotor? Did you get a second chain? (1 for each setup) Did you watch any specific videos before you did it? (links?)

Also did you change out the tires yourself? If so did you buy a tool kit that goes on your bike for flat repairs? (links)

Thanks!

Shawn

I bought a spare set of barely used discs off of eBay for cheap for the 18/21 wheels for an easy swap. If you get brand new ones at the dealer, just make sure you ask them for a tub of vaseline at the register as well.

I used the stock chain because it's already due for a replacement soon anyway so I didn't mind gunking it up. I bought a used 44T sprocket off eBay and put it on the 18(SM has a 41T I believe). I'm going to end up purchasing two chains in the near future, one for my SM setup and another for the offered.

I bought the wheels off someone on craiglist who converted his S to SM so he didn't need them anymore. Luckily for me they already had some rubber installed on them. Last but not least, I bought a new OEM "S" speedo drive so that I can get the correct speed and odo reading(special important for determining fuel level).

As far as installation goes...

Just make sure after you loosen the wheel and go to pull it out you slide the brake caliper off the swingarm so you don't end up scratching the shit out of your SM wheels like I did :(

Also, make sure you remove the chain guide off the swingarm as well before all of this.

Some good videos to go by:

Front wheel removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDLiYHM6r18

Rear wheel removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1zMN_3Jyg

Chain adjustment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b9lB9pntaM

congrats on making the dizzer a proper dualsport :D

if you swap the swingarm to an E or S you can use the E/S axle, which is a lot easier/faster for chain adjustments when swapping wheels (and their different sprocket sizes)

i've never understood why the SM got that crappy street bike inspired adjuster slapped on it.

Thanks man. Yeah, that swingarm adjustment was a bitch! Holy crap man. Every time I would adjust it from the screws, i'd go tighten and torque the axle down and it would screw up my setting enough to give the chain more slack than I wanted. I'm sure there is an easier process and I was

probably screwing up somewhere.

All in all, had a great time offloading(for my first time every) with my brother in-law and my young nephew with their CR250Ls.

And I only crashed twice :p

IMG_7793.JPG

IMG_7790.JPG

IMG_7791.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7824.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

• Like 5

Hi all,

I just purchased some second hand/ almost new 18" and 21" wheel set to go on my SM, I was told it was just a straight swap over but I'm having some issues with the wheel spacers. The spacers that come off my SM wheels don't fit on the 18" rear wheel, I'll get some pics soon to show, the guy that I bought the wheels from has said he had no issues with the spacers from the SM wheels on his,

You should be able to use your factory SM spacers with no question. That's what I did. Waiting for the pics.

The spacers are the same size as the spindle on the hubs so they don't fit inside as they should on the standard SM wheels, I feel I may have been sold wheels for another bike, I'll get the pics tomorrow,

The spacers are the same size as the spindle on the hubs so they don't fit inside as they should on the standard SM wheels, I feel I may have been sold wheels for another bike, I'll get the pics tomorrow,

it is more likely the sm wheels on your bike are actually aftermarket and not stock if the spacers slide into the bearing .. the stock wheel setups use the same spacers im pretty sure, and stock spacers have an OD that butts to the bearing not inside it .. stock hubs have a smaller bearing ID in other words, that ride directly on the axle ..

Edited by cowpie

I hope this is the case, as the spacers off the current SM wheels fitted to the bike do slot into the bearing, hopefully I can just try and find some stock spacers for the 18" 21" wheels, or do you mean the stock wheel spacers should slot in? I don't suppose any you guys have any links handy as to where I'd find these, either uk or US? Thanks in advance for any help

@cowpie do you know if the stock spacers slot into the bearing? The spacers in the diagram look the exact same as the ones I already have on the SM wheels