Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400SM on 18/21 wheels

Ahh, sorry guys, I'm brand new to these forums, i seem to have hijacked this post. OP would you rather I started a new post about this problem

@cowpie do you know if the stock spacers slot into the bearing? The spacers in the diagram look the exact same as the ones I already have on the SM wheels

no they dont .. its hard to tell from the diagram .. some aftermarket spacers are 'stepped' and actually slide into the bearing and the bearing rides on them ... stock spacers have the same outside diameter as the seal all the way to the face that touches the bearing race, they do not slide into the bearing, stock bearings ride on the axle ..

no they dont .. its hard to tell from the diagram .. some aftermarket spacers are 'stepped' and actually slide into the bearing and the bearing rides on them ... stock spacers have the same outside diameter as the seal all the way to the face that touches the bearing race, they do not slide into the bearing, stock bearings ride on the axle ..

Cheers for the info Cowpie, I'll get some pictures tomorrow afternoon and post them up,

• Like 1

So this afternoon I managed to swap out my stock SM wheels out with some "S" wheels in my garage.  And I say manage because other than changing my oil and filter, I've never done anything on my bike as complex haha.  Total newbie when it comes to this stuff.
So it felt pretty good accomplishing such a feat :D
Took me a couple hours because I was having a little trouble trying to figure out how to take the rear SM wheel out.  Ended up having to take out the chain guide in order to get some clearance.  Also, adjusting the rear with the axle blocks was such a freakin' headache for
me because once you set the distance the way you wanted it would change ever so slightly once you tightened the axle which in turn would end up tightening the chain way too much.  Anyway, here are some pics...

Rear Tire:  Dunlop D606 130/90-18
Front Tire:  Pirelli MT21 90/90-21
Sprocket:  44T
Speedo Drive:  DRZ400S OEM (Part# 54600-29F00)

place a bigger screwdriver at the junction of the chain and rear sprocket. Turn the wheel so the screwdriver gets pulled into the sprocket, wedging between them (gently!). That tensions the chain appropriately and you can then tighten the axle without it moving so much.  FWIW

that would probably clear things up ...

Hi again, here's the first pics, showing the spacer that slots into the bearing on the current SM rear wheelImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125704.238100.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125721.978424.jpg

And now the second pic showing the bearing is the same size as the axel bit so it doesn't slot in ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125806.604299.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125822.430020.jpg

Hi again, here's the first pics, showing the spacer that slots into the bearing on the current SM rear wheel📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125704.238100.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125721.978424.jpg

And now the second pic showing the bearing is the same size as the axel bit so it doesn't slot in 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125806.604299.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448125822.430020.jpg

ok in the second pic, that is a non-standard hub so you need to identify it and get the proper spacer setup, make sure the bearings and inner spacer is right, ect .. if theres not a name on it you can search on, i would start a new thread and ask if someone can identify it, we've about butchered this thread enough lol ..

Edited by cowpie