Sign in to follow this  

Crappy way to end season

Well me and a buddy went riding today for one last ride before hunting season opens. And it was great all day up until we stopped and took a break, break finished and tried to start bike... got nothing from e start. After inspecting bike the bottom of the motor was covered in oil. Ok great how far back did this start? Could not see any oil in sight glass BTW. So we decided that he would head for home and grab the trailer to come get me. Only problem is now I have to push this thing to a spot accessible by a Dodge caliber. Needless to say having to push a bike 1.6 miles down a trail to the nearest road REALLY sucks. At least a local hunter scouting for his new blind location pulled up (after I finally made it to the road) and decided to keep me company while I waited for my lift. Once we returned to the house after cleaning all the dirt of it appears the clutch side cover took a hit somewhere along the trail, it had a VERY fine crack on the very bottom which was allowing oil to leak out. We were able to put some oil in it and it did start again so damage seems limited to the cover thankfully. Started instantly with no weird noise just a slow oil leak. Could have been worse I guess.

Anyway just bummed that my last ride of the season was a bust. Anyone else had a breakdown in a bad spot and had a long walk or similar story to share?

My first KTM was a 99' 300 that I completely restored. Three of us went on a two day trip in the Sierras for her maiden voyage. On day two we decided to make one 'last, quick' loop and that's when things went wrong. She shut down in a nasty switchback section and didn't want to restart for a bit. Ok, fine. Let her cool off and she lights back up so off we go. Well, about a hundred feet anyway. The next hour was spent swapping parts from my buddies bike until we had exhausted all hope of getting her lit again. Off he goes to get the truck and the remaining two of us start the easily two mile trek out of some of the nastiest terrain I've ridden. It was easily two hours until we got out and were lucky enough to find the correct trailhead to meet back up. Already long story short, I found the pinched kill switch wire in a matter of minutes the next day despite having unplugged it on the trail. Lesson learned, don't overlook the easy things.

• Like 2

2e2nvhl.jpg

rode to the top of a mountain and I decided to try this hidden little downhill trail... it got steep, and quick.  I really shouldnt have went down.   it wasnt a trail for riding or animals, it was a trail the water made when the snow melts.  very steep and very rocky, nowhere to even turn around. tons of over grown bushes.  I went down about 1 mile then dropped the bike and smashed my engine case.

It was so bad I was considering having the bike helicoptered out for 1500$.

I left my bike there on the side of the trail for 9 days while I figured something out.  during that time it rained hard, washed all the loose rocks off the trail, half buried my bike.

went down with 6 guys, some rope, and JB weld.  patched the case, filled it with oil, and was actually able to barely ride out.  the 6 guys had a hell of a time even walking back up it was so steep.

that JB weld has held for 6 years now...

Edited by coryf89
  • Like 6

my buddy had just rebuilt his rm, we took it out and rode around the greatly receded lake (very muddy)....at the time we were furthest from the truck (about 5.2 miles) we realized his bike had boiled all its coolant....we strained lake water through my t-shirt into the rad for a quick fix, just to discover the plug was shot, it had a piece of metal welded into the gap! I guess it was a piece of piston

I take off for the truck to get tools and a plug. I'm nearly to the truck when I find a little puddle that is clearly from tires tracks, I decide to roll through it, suddenly I can only see my a bit of my rear tire sticking out of the water....it just swallowed the bike.

at least where he broke down was only a few hundred yards from a bit of highway...so it was an easy push to the truck once I FINALLY arrived

• Like 1

2e2nvhl.jpg

rode to the top of a mountain and I decided to try this hidden little downhill trail... it got steep, and quick. I really shouldnt have went down. it wasnt a trail for riding or animals, it was a trail the water made when the snow melts. very steep and very rocky, nowhere to even turn around. tons of over grown bushes. I went down about 1 mile then dropped the bike and smashed my engine case.

I left my bike there on the side of the trail for 9 days while I figured something out. during that time it rained hard, washed all the loose rocks off the trail, half buried my bike.

went down with 6 guys, some rope, and JB weld. patched the case, filled it with oil, and was actually able to barely ride out. the 6 guys had a hell of a time even walking back up it was so steep.

My uncle has walked 1/4 mile down trails before to make sure they don't dead end.. if it's too steep to turn around, and we don't know what were getting into, we don't go down what we can't come up.

• Like 2

2e2nvhl.jpg

rode to the top of a mountain and I decided to try this hidden little downhill trail... it got steep, and quick.  I really shouldnt have went down.   it wasnt a trail for riding or animals, it was a trail the water made when the snow melts.  very steep and very rocky, nowhere to even turn around. tons of over grown bushes.  I went down about 1 mile then dropped the bike and smashed my engine case.

I left my bike there on the side of the trail for 9 days while I figured something out.  during that time it rained hard, washed all the loose rocks off the trail, half buried my bike.

went down with 6 guys, some rope, and JB weld.  patched the case, filled it with oil, and was actually able to barely ride out.  the 6 guys had a hell of a time even walking back up it was so steep.

Did you post this in the CRF450R forum a number of years ago? I vaguely remember reading something very similar to this before. BTW what a nightmare that must have been, at least you were able to ride it out.....eventually!

• Like 1

hey man my season ended because of shattered ankle back in august. I am just starting to walk again and become more active. Be thankful it was the bike and not your body!

• Like 3

2e2nvhl.jpg

that's awesome.  I helped another TT member go get his bike out after it ate a crank at the bottom of a talus field. It had been out there 3 weeks before we got it out with an XR400 and a whole bunch of beer. Nobody else wanted to help :)

• Like 1

Did you post this in the CRF450R forum a number of years ago? I vaguely remember reading something very similar to this before. BTW what a nightmare that must have been, at least you were able to ride it out.....eventually!

Yup I believe I did. I think that was 4 or 5 years ago it happened. Good memory!!

• Like 1

I just posted this in the bike breakage thread but........

I too live in the mountains and you can remote pretty quick. Busted the CDI (pretty fluky) and luckily I had a rope and was with some friends. Took us over 2 hours to tow the bike about 5 miles. If I was by my self I would have had to leave the bike, walk HOURS, then spend more hours getting it out.

I know a few guys who've spent $$$$$$$ getting their broken down sled's heli'd off a mountain.

Anyway, my tip of the day - have one person in your group carry a toe rope and practice using it before you need to really use it. It was really a bit hellish doing it on the trail for the first time.

That's a crazy bike of the buried bike.

And to the OP and as posted, lucky it was just the clutch cover. Cheap to replace or 2 part JB Weld does work great when prepped and applied correctly

Wow I definitely did not have as bad of situation as I thought after reading these. And yes I am thankful that it's just the cover and not myself or a bigger problem. Just felt pretty bummed considering I was borrowing the bike as I'm trying to do a rebuild on mine, and this takes $$ and time away from my toy. Not much, but every penny counts when trying to restore my 94 cr250r. It is turning into an expensive project but worth it imo.

that's awesome. I helped another TT member go get his bike out after it ate a crank at the bottom of a talus field. It had been out there 3 weeks before we got it out with an XR400 and a whole bunch of beer. Nobody else wanted to help :)

I hate people sometimes. If you need a hand, tell me when and where. I'll be there.

• Like 1