Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

The obsession some people appear to have regarding a few pounds of weight is somewhat seriously amusing to those of us who learned to ride on 340 pound bikes, I must tell you. But what the hell? Carry on.

Cheapest way for me to get significant weight off my bike is to eat fewer cheeseburgers!!

Of course, I'm not likely to do that.

• Like 1

Jimmy's test philosophy and being blown away by the YZ450FX.   

Specifically says it feels lighter than the 450 XCF !

Goes into detail about how mags don't strive to do good tests.

Start listening at 1:29:00 and listen to the end.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 1

Jimmy's test philosophy and being blown away by the YZ450FX. https://youtu.be/jNIo6oAKpCo

Specifically says it feels lighter than the 450 XCF !

Goes into detail about how mags don't strive to do good tests.

Start listening at 1:29:00 and listen to the end.

My fav quote on that was "what the harley riders do at bars, the adventure riders do at starbucks, pose."

• Like 1

I'll be adding more weight with all the protective upgrades. When the battery goes I will install a shorai. The bike feels so light I'm half as tired on the same trails with my crf450x.

The YZ450FX does not need a diet.

I am coming off a 2011 CRF450X also. Was concerned with the weight. I promised myself I wouldn't buy another 270+ bike. Although the FX is still up there in weight it is good to hear that it isn't as noticeable. Can't wait!

Somehow I am extra confused on the weight issue.

If the 250's are one of the lightest bikes out there then why would the 450 with all the 250 parts be heavy???

The only thing non 250 on the 450 is the motor.

However it's possible the KTM's don't have much for a counter balancer and much crank weight.

If the 250's are one of the lightest bikes out there then why would the 450 with all the 250 parts be heavy???

However it's possible the KTM's don't have much for a counter balancer and much crank weight.

Yamaha had to add a battery, starter, heavier exhaust etc etc. KTM didn't have too as it already came with e-start. KTM also comes stock with a LiPo battery vs the Lead Acid on the Yamaha.

The Yamaha 450 MX was already 11lbs heavier then the KTM so the FX got even heavier with the e-start and such...

For me it's not about the weight on a scale, I don't care care what it weighs. It's all about what it feels like while riding, and it feels very light. I've never rode a ktm and haven't ridden a smoker since the eighties, so I can't compare the two.

For me it's not about the weight on a scale, I don't care care what it weighs. It's all about what it feels like while riding, and it feels very light. I've never rode a ktm and haven't ridden a smoker since the eighties, so I can't compare the two.

The new KTMs I've ridden feel lighter then my YZF. Keeping in mind, you're not always riding you bike, you can be lifting, pushing it, pulling it, etc etc. My Husaberg felt stupid light until you had to put it on a stand...

"The FX is a solid-handling machine and really doesn’t take a lot of muscle to make it do what you want it to do. However, in general, the FX is a big-feeling bike and it’s, well, unfortunately, very heavy. It’s about 15 pounds heavier than the YZ450F and that’s not good news for the FX, since the F is already one of the heaviest bikes in its class. And it gets worse. The KTM 450 XC-F is a good 20 pounds lighter (and trimmer) than the FX! We found that as easy as the FX is to ride, it’ll still wear you out because of its sheer weight and bulk, and let’s face it, the FX is a powerful motorcycle and still requires some muscle and endurance no matter what, especially if you plan on riding the FX for any length of time on challenging trails. Luckily (well, that one way of looking at it), the small-ish gas tank will force you into pits more often for a quick breather. We say “small-ish” because it still holds two gallons, which is more than any other 450 MX bike; the KTM 450 XC-F, however, holds 2.2 gallons."

Source: 

http://www.cyclenews.com/2016/02/article/first-test-2016-yamaha-yz450fx/

Dammit everyone has such a different opinion about this bike. 

Just need to buy one already.... lol

Edited by JakeTheGreat

We could also show you 2 or 3 magazine review where they said they didn't really notice that much weight difference. If your riding really slow technical trails, this isn't the ideal bike. You need to decide the bike for the terrain you ride.

I think it would still be fun on slow technical trails with a rekluse.

• Like 2

I'm sure when I did the numbers it's not that far off the KTM weight wise, remember that the KTM are dry weight and the YZ-fx is wet weight

No.

The magazines are weighing them both with fuel and the Yamaha is about 20 pounds heavier. 

The KTM website lists the weight emtpy (226 pounds ?) and the Yamaha lists the weight full of fuel (263 pounds)   The KTM carries 2.2 gallons of fuel, about 15 pounds.  That means the KTM weighs about 241 pounds full of fuel, for a difference of 22 pounds, from the factory.   But both bikes need extra equipment to be trail ready, at least for my riding, so neither one of these weights is truly useful. 

The 2016 KTM 450XCF is 10 pounds lighter than the 2015 model, so the FX is only 12 or so pounds heavier than the 2015 model, if that helps put things in perspective.

What options does one have if the YZ450FX is too heavy ?   Take a bunch of weight off it ?

2016 KTM 450 XCF.  Transmission isn't geared right, it overheats, suspension needs a lot of work, no engine programmer

2016 KTM 350 XCF.  Same basic weight as the 450.  Engine lacks torque.  Have to rev the crap out of it to get 450 power.

The Husky FE 450 seems to be a few pounds heavier than the KTM model.

Maybe the 2017 KTM450 XCFW  would be the perfect bike ?

The 2016 YZ450F is the heaviest bike in its class and yet it has won several 450 shootouts.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Wrong....the yz450f is not the heaviest bike in its class. The rmz450 still holds the title. Dirtbike mag is full of crap. They had the 16 yz450f at 239lbs without fuel and the 15 yz450f at 236lbs. The yz450 did not put on 3lbs this year. I think Dirtrider and Moto usa are closer to the true weights. They both have the 16 yz450f at 249 with a full tank of gas.Keep in mind the yz450f holds 2 gallons of gas and the crf, kxf, and rmz hold about 1.5-1.6 gallons of gas.Also keep in mind a gallon of gas averages about 6-6.5 lbs.Since the yz450f weights more due to the extra gas, which is about 3lbs, that puts the yz450 at only 2lbs more than the honda, 5lbs more than the kawi, and 2lbs less than the suzuki. Also, there was a TT member that recently weighted his yz450f with a full tank of gas and he said it weighed exactly what Yamaha stated, 247lbs wet(full tank of gas). What does all this mean?Actually, absolutely nothing other than don't believe everything you read in the mags and stop obsessing about the weight! The yz450f and yz450fx are badass bikes, if the yz450fx seems like the right bike for you, buy it!!!

Edited by Edge316
  • Like 1

If anyone is on the fence, be sure to check out each company's demo days In your area. That's really the only way you can determine which is best for your application.

My prior bike was a 15' 350 sxf and while it was a great bike, I absolutely love everything about the FX. I like its width, weight and of course course how it handles. The suspension is amazing and well worth the extra 15-20 lbs it carries. I've had KTMs with OC, CC and 4cs forks and could never get them to feel right. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on that either.

My buddy has a 16' 350 with full Ohlins. He races the GNCC and NEPGs in the B class. He rode mine yesterday and couldn't believe how awesome the suspension was.

It is a heavier bike, but I really don't notice it that much while riding it. I've done a lot better in the last 4 hare scrambles I've raced as well since getting it. We ride in really tight, rocky and rooty single track and the bike shines! A lot of the mags even preferred the FX in the tight stuff and the KTM in the desert. I'm a converted Yamaha guy now!

• Like 3

Has anyone done a ti fmf muffler and a lith battery to see what weight loss is??!!

The Q4 fmf muffler is only 0.7 pounds lighter than the stock muffler on the YZ250FX.  I think the 250FX and the 450FX use the same muffler.

The Shoria is 3.16 pounds lighter than the stock YZ250fx batter.  I think the 450FX and 250FX use the same battery.