Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

So how much can the bottom end be dialed down on the 450FX ?  

I rode a KTM350 XCF yesterday.   We were in very slippery conditions.  Mud on frozen ground and ice.  We were riding on studs, but still.  I liked how the 350 could be soft on the bottom, yet when you needed power and revved it up, it was there.

Having said all that, my WR seemed to hook up better, but that may have been my tire + studs versus what was on the 350.  It could have also been the rear suspension on the 350, which seemed harsh at times.

I'm really wondering if the YZ450FX is too much for tight woods/technical riding.  But I'm really loving my WR, so probably not ????

Yamaha needs to lighten these bikes up by about 10 pounds and come out with a YZ350FX and an oil injected YZ300X with a starter.  I'd be all over both of those.

I've been having so much fun on my WR that I haven't ridden by FX since fall.  You know life is good when...

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 1

The Q4 fmf muffler is only 0.7 pounds lighter than the stock muffler on the YZ250FX. I think the 250FX and the 450FX use the same muffler.

The Shoria is 3.16 pounds lighter than the stock YZ250fx batter. I think the 450FX and 250FX use the same battery.

Go back in this thread. A member weight his full FMF ti to the stock. It was 3 pounds difference.

By updating battery and TI FMF is around 6 pounds. It never stays there because your adding hand guards etc.

I rode a KTM350 XCF yesterday. We were in very slippery conditions. Mud on frozen ground and ice. We were riding on studs, but still. I liked how the 350 could be soft on the bottom, yet when you needed power and revved it up, it was there.

Having said all that, my WR seemed to hook up better, but that may have been my tire + studs versus what was on the 350. It could have also been the rear suspension on the 350, which seemed harsh at times.

I'm really wondering if the YZ450FX is too much for tight woods/technical riding. But I'm really loving my WR, so probably not ????

Yamaha needs to lighten these bikes up by about 10 pounds and come out with a YZ350FX and an oil injected YZ300X with a starter. I'd be all over both of those.

I've been having so much fun on my WR that I haven't ridden by FX since fall. You know life is good when...

A 300X and a 350FX would be a hit. I would be all over this. I love my 250x and if I added a 4 stroke to the stable again i think a 350 would be about perfect. Although in the spirit of weight savings, is oil injection necessary? Good post

I rode a KTM350 XCF yesterday.   We were in very slippery conditions.  Mud on frozen ground and ice.  We were riding on studs, but still.  I liked how the 350 could be soft on the bottom, yet when you needed power and revved it up, it was there.

Having said all that, my WR seemed to hook up better, but that may have been my tire + studs versus what was on the 350.  It could have also been the rear suspension on the 350, which seemed harsh at times.

I'm really wondering if the YZ450FX is too much for tight woods/technical riding.  But I'm really loving my WR, so probably not ????

Yamaha needs to lighten these bikes up by about 10 pounds and come out with a YZ350FX and an oil injected YZ300X with a starter.  I'd be all over both of those.

I've been having so much fun on my WR that I haven't ridden by FX since fall.  You know life is good when...

The bike can really be tuned down if desired.  IMHO this is really one of the best selling points of this bike.  That power tuner is amazing!

• Like 1

My 15 FE 350 is what it's replacing.

Now that is interesting because the FX is heavier than the FE.   Please come back and tell us more as you put time on the FX.

What conditions are you riding in ?

I don't know how I'm going to last until fall without buying an FX.  I've been riding every week, but I have a bad case of spring fever for riding in general and then I've been lusting over a YZ450FX since the moment they were announced.  All I think about is riding lately.  I did 25 miles yesterday, I'm tired today, and all I've been thinking about is riding again.  Sheesh !

• Like 2

Now that is interesting because the FX is heavier than the FE.   Please come back and tell us more as you put time on the FX.

What conditions are you riding in ?

I don't know how I'm going to last until fall without buying an FX.  I've been riding every week, but I have a bad case of spring fever for riding in general and then I've been lusting over a YZ450FX since the moment they were announced.  All I think about is riding lately.  I did 25 miles yesterday, I'm tired today, and all I've been thinking about is riding again.  Sheesh !

Go find an FX to ride because you are honestly wasting your time posting until you get some seat time on one.

Thought I'd chime in here as I've gotten some more time on my fx, I'm in New England an ride a lot of tight single track, rocks roots ect. Definatly a learning curve as my bike for the last 2 seasons was a TE 300 which was near impossible to stall, the fx is quite easy to stall in these conditions and feels more like an mx bike than a woods bike, it has big time engine braking too. This motor would benefit greatly from a rekluse or even a heavier flywheel weight imo, gearing feels tall as well even with the 51 tooth rear that I put on, lots more riding the clutch than on the TE. Suspension is quite stiff but I haven't tried to adjust it at all, felt great at the mx track though so I'm sure I need to back the clickers way off. Rode with a buddy today who has a 2016 6days 300, we are about the same speed on our 300's, however whipping through the tight trees he could pull away a bit, on the flip side on slippery roots and rocks the fx hammers through straight as an arrow while his Ktm is all over the place. I see a lot of people asking about how this bike is in tight trails and I would say in my opinion it does not like to be ridden slow, in faster atv trails or wide open riding no comparison, it stomps the 2 stroke. On a side note I've owned a Ktm 350sx and that bike didn't seam to stall as easy as the fx, seams to be more a gearing issue as second feels too low and 3rd too high in the single track, maybe a 52 rear would help.Maybe tuning with the engine tuner would make a difference, but I don't own one yet and have no experience with that. Definatly won't be looking to squeeze any more power out of it, pulls like a freight train!

Baylor is leading the National Enduro series on a 450FX and doesn't run a auto clutch.  So it can be done.  Most of the guys run softer mapping so they can ride the bike all day and not get worn out.  Stock you're pretty much riding a YZ, so I'm sure it's a handful.

Edited by motocrotts
  • Like 1

Baylor is leading the National Enduro series on a 450FX and doesn't run a auto clutch.  So it can be done.  Most of the guys run softer mapping so they can ride the bike all day and not get worn out.  Stock you're pretty much riding a YZ, so I'm sure it's a handful.

I plan to get the tuner soon, as far a pro rider leading the national series I'm not sure how much that relates to the rest of us average racers, their pro's for a reason. I'm a B senior rider and just sharing my personal experiences, by no means am I saying the bike isn't good but out of the box its a bit of a brute in the tight stuff. I'm sure once I dial it in for me it will do fine, can you tune it to lug down low more without flaming out with a different map?

I plan to get the tuner soon, as far a pro rider leading the national series I'm not sure how much that relates to the rest of us average racers, their pro's for a reason. I'm a B senior rider and just sharing my personal experiences, by no means am I saying the bike isn't good but out of the box its a bit of a brute in the tight stuff. I'm sure once I dial it in for me it will do fine, can you tune it to lug down low more without flaming out with a different map?

Please don't take that wrong, I just meant it can be done.  As mortals we WILL struggle more.  I ordered my tuner when I picked the bike up yesterday.  I've been told you can make them a &%$#@! cat.  I plan to put a rekluse in mine.  I've always found big 4S prone to stalling.  My 350 while not so bad, can stall on occasion.  I don't run a rekluse in it.

• Like 1

I thought the bike stock was jittiery in the tight stuff with the default mapping. Here is a map that makes a difference down low. Make sure you set your sag and I would soften the compression 2 or 3 clicks on the forks and rear. You feel quite a difference. I kept mine stock the first few rides, then made my adjustments.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459112201.063607.jpg

• Like 1

I thought the bike stock was jittiery in the tight stuff with the default mapping. Here is a map that makes a difference down low. Make sure you set your sag and I would soften the compression 2 or 3 clicks on the forks and rear. You feel quite a difference. I kept mine stock the first few rides, then made my adjustments.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459112201.063607.jpg

Thats what I'll do to and see where I need to go from there.

Here is a new review between Beta 430, KTM 450 XC-F and Yamaha YZ450FX.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459114266.170371.jpg

http://www.joomag.com/magazine/on-the-pegs-april-2016-volume-1-issue-4/0701438001459014846?short

Notice how not really a mention the weight hinders this bike. I was concerned about it in the beginning, but the bike is too good and obviously makes up for it in a lot of other areas.

Edited by RMK800
  • Like 3

Please don't take that wrong, I just meant it can be done.  As mortals we WILL struggle more.  I ordered my tuner when I picked the bike up yesterday.  I've been told you can make them a &%$#@! cat.  I plan to put a rekluse in mine.  I've always found big 4S prone to stalling.  My 350 while not so bad, can stall on occasion.  I don't run a rekluse in it.

No offense taken at all, I'm a former mx rider turned woods rider so no stranger to hard hitting motors, but in its stock form it's a beast and stalls easy in tight slow conditions if your used to something with heavy flywheel effect. It feels like exactly what it is, a heavier yz450f with a wide ratio transmission.

If a 4 stroke is stalling in tight stuff, you need to check the idle mixture, the idle RPM and the gearing.  If the engine is running so slow for you in tight stuff that it is stalling, you also don't have any throttle response to lighten the front end. 

People tend to gear big 4Ts too fast, believing that they'll pull fast gearing all day long.  And generally they will.   But when you need to go 5 MPH to get through something technical, you need to go slow without worrying about flaming out.  And you need throttle response.

My WR came with 13/50 or 13/48 gearing from the factory.  I struggled with it a bit, other people rode it and stalled it.  A couple weeks later I regeard to 12/51 and it was a totally different bike in tight stuff  because you didn't have to worry about flameout and because it was perkier in that it would lift the front wheel at 6 MPH.

Most 300cc 2strokes run at 6MPH in 1st gear idling.  I geared my WR to do the same.   It still goes faster in 1st gear than a 2 stroke because you can rev it to 10,000 RPM plus whereas a 2st signs off at 8,000 RPM.   Not that you do rev it that high in 1st, but you can.   When you regear it also makes 2nd more usable and closer too.  All in all, a better fit for tight woods use.

Clutch control can also be the issue if you are new to 4ts.  On a 4t you cover the clutch whenever the engine is near idle.  It just becomes habit.  On a 2t you cover the clutch whenever the engine lugs down and you need to get it back into the powerband.   Both need clutch work, but at different times.

Here is a new review between Beta 430, KTM 450 XC-F and Yamaha YZ450FX.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459114266.170371.jpg

http://www.joomag.com/magazine/on-the-pegs-april-2016-volume-1-issue-4/0701438001459014846?short

Notice how not really a mention the weight hinders this bike. I was concerned about it in the beginning, but the bike is too good and obviously makes up for it in a lot of other areas.

Sold !

What a great magazine !  I love the trials and enduro stuff.   Good find.  Thanks for sharing.

Now I wish someone would compare it to a KTM450 XCF-W as well as a KTM 350 XCF-W.

It is funny how these reviews don't mention how big the test riders are.  I'm 6'1" 220 plus riding gear plus a 20 pound pack some days.  A 260 pound 4 stroke weighs the same for me as a 230 pound bike does for a 180 pound rider.  I need the power and I have the muscle to throw a bigger bike around.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 1