Sign in to follow this  

Broken output shaft bearing

Ive been looking for about 2 years now for a reasonable priced CRF250R. I don't make much money but really want a new dirtbike and saw a really great one on craigslist but the guy said it had a broken output shaft bearing. If anyone has done this replacement on thier CRF250R or know about it thatt would be great.

an estimated cost and time to do the job is mostly what im looking for

Thanks

:thumbsup:

The bearing itself is $30. But the cases have to be split, which is normally when the crankshaft and bearings are all changed. Depending how the bearing failed and how long it was run, there could be severe damage to the transmission and possible case damage around the bearing.

Could easily wind up $1000 in parts to fix properly. Good luck.

Often people are selling bikes in this condition because they got it looked at and were quoted an extravagant amount of money to fix it. Then they make it sound like an easy fix for someone. Look out.

Edited by nzgsr
  • Like 1

Splitting the cases is easy. With what you have to replace, you can take off the top end, flywheel, and then just pull out the bolts for the cases, heat case up in oven at 200 degrees, tap bearing out and replace. Cost is bearing and gasket kit a and b. I would do it in a heartbeat if the bike was cheap enough. You could be done in a day your first time if you have parts in your hand. Finish the next morning if your buddy comes over and gets you drunk.

If you can fix it yourself maybe, Im leary of recommending a crf250r to anyone who says they dont make much money though. If you ride a lot, sometimes even very little, maintenance gets expensive on these very quickly. If cost is a factor and you cant fix it yourself I wouldnt get a four stroke.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Is there anything that you can see on the outside that would indicate if its more than just replacing the bearing?

I would do all the repairs myself and mostly only ride it on trails and property of mine and a buddies.

can you run the engine (if you don't put it in gear of course) with a broken output bearing?