Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning fowled plugs

In my experiences, once a plug fouls and begins to misfire,

even cleaned thoroughly, very rarely afterwards does it ever run like new again.

For the relatively low cost of getting a new plug, I prefer to avoid added tuning variables.

A subtle high rpm misfire is sometimes hard to diagnose, makes you think your jetting is off.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

The best fix for a fouled plug is figure out what is wrong with the jetting, or the engine, and fix that.. Then your fouled plug problems go away. I ran the plug that was in my bike when I bought it for 3 years. I don't know how long it was in the bike before I got it. I only changed it because I rebuilt the engine. The current plug has been in there for over 2 years. In short, my engine does not foul plugs because I have a Keihin Air Striker Carb that is jetted correctly for my altitude and temperature.

If you have the stock carb-the TMX-please do a search on this site and you will find many posts that will explain to you how to properly jet that carb. Or.. Do some diagnostics on the engine to figure out if it is an engine problem.

• Like 2

From what I understand, a spark plug has to be 800 degrees f to idle correctly, proper jetting is the key, I also learned if the electrodes become oil fouled the plug is rendered useless, try pushing a 500cc dirt bike 2 miles in the hot texas sun, you will learn the secrits of jetting and correct plug heat range fast!!!

m

From what I understand, a spark plug has to be 800 degrees f to idle correctly, proper jetting is the key, I also learned if the electrodes become oil fouled the plug is rendered useless, try pushillmm ,l,mlmng a 500cc dirt bike 2 miles in the hot texas sun, you will learn the secrits of jetting and correct plug heat range fast!!!

Oh I hear you cr-dude3 . I too have had the pleasure of listening to the Clickety-clack of chain and sprockets while walking.Never again Will I go riding without a spare. My jetting is sweet now and the bike is a psycho bitch (with a reused plug)which demands respect

Edited by john torrisi
  • Like 1

The best fix for a fouled plug is figure out what is wrong with the jetting, or the engine, and fix that.. Then your fouled plug problems go away. I ran the plug that was in my bike when I bought it for 3 years. I don't know how long it was in the bike before I got it. I only changed it because I rebuilt the engine. The current plug has been in there for over 2 years. In short, my engine does not foul plugs because I have a Keihin Air Striker Carb that is jetted correctly for my altitude and temperature.

If you have the stock carb-the TMX-please do a search on this site and you will find many posts that will explain to you how to properly jet that carb. Or.. Do some diagnostics on the engine to figure out if it is an engine problem.

Mine don't foul anymore and I have the Keihin , it did take a few rides to get the correct jet size.