Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450exc 14 engine ticking

Hi all I just brought a ktm 450exc 14 model with about 70hrs and it makes a ticking noise in the front of the engine you pull the clutch in and it doesn't stop it , it does get a little louder at higher revs but not that bad is this normal as some just say it's typical of that model.

Hi all I just brought a ktm 450exc 14 model with about 70hrs and it makes a ticking noise in the front of the engine you pull the clutch in and it doesn't stop it , it does get a little louder at higher revs but not that bad is this normal as some just say it's typical of that model.

Do you have an aluminum skid plate on the bottom? If so, take that off, and see if the sound changes much...

Do you have an aluminum skid plate on the bottom? If so, take that off, and see if the sound changes much...

No I have the standard plastic one on but I might rip it of and see how it sounds thanks

Valve adjustment time.  Look on you tube for Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has a tutorial on how to do it.

Valve adjustment time. Look on you tube for Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has a tutorial on how to do it.

It's actually the opposite. The shim under bucket valves actually tighten with wear. So if it's making noise that's a good thing, quiet is bad. That's what the Ktm mechanic told me.

Thanks guys I'm taking it to the mechanic just for a check over just to ease my mind nothing worse than to ruin a good weekend on the bike with a bike failure.