Sign in to follow this  

Racing a yz125

So i have a 2009 yz125, it has a 144 piston in it and a ton of mods, has holeshot mod and everything is new. Im planning on racing the upcoming motocross season and I was thinking of getting a 250f because I feel like I will be at a disadvantage riding a 125. So my question is will i be at a disadvantage if I line up against a 250f? I have a trade lined up and its a 2013 yz250f and he wants my bike +300.

How much of a budget do you have if/when things go wrong?

say if ever the engine seizes up on your YZ144 versus an engine failure on the 250F

If your budget is limited, better to be able to afford a whole season of racing your 144

(despite being at some disadvantage, rider skills can make up for it)

than having a 250F out of service because you can't afford to get it repaired.

How about trying a season on your 144, at least you have already have an idea of it's mechanical condition to begin with,

used bikes (even recent ones) are always a gamble unless you know the previous owner and the bike's maintenance history.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

How much of a budget do you have if/when things go wrong?

say if ever the engine seizes up on your YZ144 versus an engine failure on the 250F

If your budget is limited, better to be able to afford a whole season of racing your 144

(despite being at some disadvantage, rider skills can make up for it)

than having a 250F out of service because you can't afford to get it repaired.

How about trying a season on your 144, at least you have already have an idea of it's mechanical condition to begin with,

used bikes (even recent ones) are always a gamble unless you know the previous owner and the bike's maintenance history.

I know exactly whats wrong with my bike. Ive torn it down to the frame several times taking everything apart.

I know exactly whats wrong with my bike. Ive torn it down to the frame several times taking everything apart.

He's asking you if you can afford to rebuild a 4t vs what it would cost if a similar failure occurred on your 2t not if you know the health of your current machine.

To me it is, or should I say was as I have only ridden about 5 times this year,  much more enjoyable passing a 250F/450F on my 125 than if I was on an equal bike. Even more enjoyable when they find out I am 40+.

• Like 1

So i have a 2009 yz125, it has a 144 piston in it and a ton of mods, has holeshot mod and everything is new. Im planning on racing the upcoming motocross season and I was thinking of getting a 250f because I feel like I will be at a disadvantage riding a 125. So my question is will i be at a disadvantage if I line up against a 250f? I have a trade lined up and its a 2013 yz250f and he wants my bike +300.

What class do you race?

As stated above, nothing feels better than smoking all the 250"s and 450's on a 125!

I gotta agree with Rocket. I also ride a 125. And there is a thrill coming off the gate knowing that those brand new 4 strokes are behind ya. Racing isn't about how big of bike as much as it is the pilot. Just try your yz and have fun

I gotta agree with Rocket. I also ride a 125. And there is a thrill coming off the gate knowing that those brand new 4 strokes are behind ya. Racing isn't about how big of bike as much as it is the pilot. Just try your yz and have fun

Ya thats what ive decided to do, I have put about $1000 into it in the past few months

As asked above, what class do you ride? That's a huge question. If your ride D or C, the 125 won't make much of a difference, your ability will. B or A class, everyone is faster and a faster bike will help. IMO.

I ride a 250 2 stroke in the D class and i can beat 75% of the 450 riders in my class. I can holeshot them almost every race also.

• Like 1

Class selection does matter, knowing your ability and not "riding over your head" is important. I ride 40+ C class and there are some fast folks in there but if I can cross the checker and finish I'm happy. The other thing is practice with faster guys. You would not believe the tips and advice you'll get just hanging out at your local track

So i have a 2009 yz125, it has a 144 piston in it and a ton of mods, has holeshot mod and everything is new. Im planning on racing the upcoming motocross season and I was thinking of getting a 250f because I feel like I will be at a disadvantage riding a 125. So my question is will i be at a disadvantage if I line up against a 250f?

Sadly, yes. You will be at a very significant dissadvantage against the 250Fs. I have seen excellent riders win on 125/144s, but you have to be truly exceptional.

To have fun, you can't beat a 125, but to win, you almost certainly need to get on a 250F.

I believe most amateur racing allows 250 no matter 2 or 4 strokes to race together. They even do this at Loretta Lynn's. But then in your in the same boat of needing a new bike.

Edited by johnk408

My son races a yz125 in both big bike B classes and is regularly in the top 1/3 of the field.  Only thing we did was have the cylinders ported.  The rest is ALL RIDER.  He is actually better and faster on a yz125 than he was on a 250f.  The yz125 is quite a bit lighter, which really comes into play in the last motos on a rough track especially on a hot day.  My wallet has noticed it is much fatter by racing the 125 vs racing the 250f. 

• Like 1

Here's my take on this. I've been riding 125's and 144's since 2008. I've ridden other bikes but keep coming back to the smaller two strokes. I have raced mainly the two stroke class in the past few years but this year I raced a few times in the Vet Expert (or Vet A) class where most guys ride 450s.

Obviously, the faster the track, the bigger the disadvantage against the bigger bikes. On slow to medium speed tracks, I feel like my lap times can be just as fast on my 144. What I lose in the straights, I make up for in the corners, since the bike is so light. The main problem is starts. Even if you get a good jump, the big thumpers will get a wheel on you on your first shift. For me, moving through the pack is hard since you lose so much ground in the straights and you're too far behind to make a move when you get to the corner. Then even if you're faster in the corner, you just make up the time lost. I still haven't figured out a way to compensate, unless there are two corner close together.

Overall it's still a lot of fun. Over time I've learnt to not judge my performances by the results sheet, and I don't care if a slower rider beats me because he has a faster bike. I am much happier when I ride my 125 than anything else. If your bike is in good shape, I can only recommend you keep it and race it so you can make your own mind.

Definitely race the 125!  I stepped down 3 years ago from a 250f to a 125 purely for the fun factor and it actually ended up making me faster.  On a 125 its not enough power to catch you off guard and put you in danger like a bigger bike will at the end of a moto, and its so light it allows you to push hard for a lot longer.   Its hard to beat the feeling of railing corners full throttle, never letting off and flying past bigger bikes :)

Definitely race the 125!  I stepped down 3 years ago from a 250f to a 125 purely for the fun factor and it actually ended up making me faster.  On a 125 its not enough power to catch you off guard and put you in danger like a bigger bike will at the end of a moto, and its so light it allows you to push hard for a lot longer.   Its hard to beat the feeling of railing corners full throttle, never letting off and flying past bigger bikes :)

+1.  That is the biggest thing my son likes in racing his yz125 vs his old yz125f.  Had to be smooth on the 4t but he can hang it out and hammer the throttle on his yz125.  Wants to do that while he still can......