Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Clicker tips

COMPLETELY depends on your weight, riding style, and terrain that you ride....not one set up for all.

Joe

Hi Joe

My weight is 90 kitted,riding style is go as fast as my medium skill level will allow me I stand as much as I can too.

Terrain is woods,rocky,mountains,few farmers fields and jeep trails..no sand or dunes..is a big variety that's why I'm having trouble knowing how to set it up.

Hi Joe

My weight is 90 kitted,riding style is go as fast as my medium skill level will allow me I stand as much as I can too.

Terrain is woods,rocky,mountains,few farmers fields and jeep trails..no sand or dunes..is a big variety that's why I'm having trouble knowing how to set it up.

No sand or dunes, I set it up to ride plush for the rocky and technical woods. As usual, if you don't know where to start with clicker settings, set them in the middle of their adjustment range and tune from there. It's a matter of riding the terrain you're trying to tune for, and get a feel for what the suspension needs as far as compression and rebound, to get the handling you want. It's a trial and error thing. Don't forget to set the rear sag properly for your weight.

I will put all back to standard then and start again....at the moment it's more towards sport.

• Like 1

Clickers can be intimidating at first, but nobody can tell you what is best for you...you must experiment. If your new and not great at subtlety...make big adjustments. Ride 5 minutes...then change your clickers 4 clicks one way....5 minutes....then 8 clicks the other way. Was one setting better...refine from there. Making big changes will allow you to learn how your bike will react differently...once you know what your looking/feeling for you can start to feel less significant changes like a single click.

Yes.....set clickers to stock setting ( write settings down), and ride a few miles. Then move only the rebound setting WAY off either - or + ( write it down)  and ride to see what happens. Then move rebound setting many many clicks the opposite way ( write number down) and ride some more. THEN do the same with compression settings. You should get a real good idea of how the setting changes affect the ride at your weight, terrain and skill level. then go back to the stock settings and adjust from there based on your new knowledge of what the rebound and compression settings do.

Joe

• Like 1

Never go more than 2 clicks at a time.

Return to factory settings and go from there.

Edited by markit

Why never go more then 2 clicks at a time?  If your new to suspension this would help you get a better feel for the changes.  It is not like changing 3, 4 or 8 clicks is going to damage the suspension.

• Like 1

Totally disagree.....i have always read that you should go way off both ways on clickers ( AFTER writing down stock settings) so you can get a good feel for what "less rebound" or "More compression" mean. I usually end up with far less rebound action on my bikes than what "stock settings" call for and it works great for me.

Joe

• Like 1

Why never go more then 2 clicks at a time? If your new to suspension this would help you get a better feel for the changes. It is not like changing 3, 4 or 8 clicks is going to damage the suspension.

i would only do the two click rule after settings were real close. Basically the fine tune.

Totally disagree.....i have always read that you should go way off both ways on clickers ( AFTER writing down stock settings) so you can get a good feel for what "less rebound" or "More compression" mean. I usually end up with far less rebound action on my bikes than what "stock settings" call for and it works great for me.

Joe

I totally agree maximize rebound 1st both directions . Also l might add when tuning this way make sure you're going through the same set of whoops/ rocks etc. and yes write everything down otherwise you'll get lost.

Going more than two is not going to help unless you get lucky a lot or say it's a situation where your going from one form of racing (enduro to moto) then sure your going to need a lot more Com and possibly reb. Once you know your bike and have a feel for it yes you can make bigger adjustments and even have presets for different areas/races.  This is only advice to a novice or someone new to suspension tuning and  set up, someone that has been doing it for a long time especially on a same model line and suspension line can and will have a base knowledge of that manufacture and can take liberties.  Also all of this is for not if all the basic suspension set up has not been done, race sag front and rear, correct spring rates, fork height to preference........ Front fork sag it a highly overlooked part of sus set up and i know on KTMs with PDS it's a step iif left out will leave you having problems, i think a big problem with a lot of the PDS dislike is due to overlooking front race sag. Its what i do and the way i was told how to do it, its worked for 35+ years and got me some tittles in HS and enduros.