Sign in to follow this  

CA model SM gas tank question/problem

2009 drz400SM CA model

my tank is 2g, .6reserve gives me 70-80mi before reserve.

i want more range, i was looking at tanks and realized that everyone else has a 2.6gallon stock tank.

is that true?

would it fit on my bike?

if it works, id much rather do that and acquire a non CA model gas tank(black pref) than buy a crappy plastic tank for $200+

thanks!!!

The way I understand it is the CA tank is the same capacity 2.6 gallons total as the rest of the country. The difference is a different gas cap and different vent for the tank that runs to a charcoal canister that the 49 state bikes dont have.

The only way to get more fuel is either a bigger aftermarket (plastic) tank or carry extra fuel on the bike (bottles, rotopax, etc...)

Edited by Kiddreamr

Only way to get more miles is a larger aftermarket tank, IMS, Clark etc... As stated above, All the OEM steel tanks are the same capacity. In CA we are just special and require a special expensive CARB approved gas cap and an extra vent line to the canister. Although most people run the line to the bottom of the bike and ditch the smog stuff.

The Cali tank is 2.5 gallons vs the other states 2.6,  it does not vent through the cap like the other ones,  i run a stock cali tank and get 100 miles to reserve,  115 till its totally empty.

• Like 1

I also was getting 80-90 mi till reserve. I finally got tired of having to keep an eye on the odometer and got a bigger tank. It's so much nicer to not have to worry about the limited range of the stock tank. Get a larger aftermarket tank and be rid of your range anxiety. Also, the fuel line routing is a lot easier with the Raptor petcock.

You have 2 gallons before reserve??? I have the stock tank and have 1.6 before reserve and then 1 gal reserve.... Found out i can cram 3 gallons in the tank though

CHECK YOUR PETCOCK