Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about jumping up to a kx450f

If been riding 250's for about 2 years now. I rode a kx450f yesterday for about 3 hours, and I feel like its time to move up to the 450. I feel confident and smooth riding it. I rode the 250 back to back of the 450 and I was smoother on the 450 and felt better in corners. It feels super light to me. I'm 5-11 and 200 lbs. Dad is weary about it but he says if he gets a bike that he would get a 450, thsts when I'd make the move to get one haha. But I'm 15 that's why everyone says it's overkill to me, but even he said I looked better on the kx vs my YZ

Soooooo... Am I missing the question here? You know how to ride, you're certainly big enough ( my son had one at 6' 135lbs) and you liked it. Sell yours and get one. Btw, what makes you think that it's a 'move up' to a 450? ( as I dance precariously on the edge of starting yet another 2t vs 4t war... Hehehe)

Soooooo... Am I missing the question here? You know how to ride, you're certainly big enough ( my son had one at 6' 135lbs) and you liked it. Sell yours and get one. Btw, what makes you think that it's a 'move up' to a 450? ( as I dance precariously on the edge of starting yet another 2t vs 4t war... Hehehe)

If been riding 250's for about 2 years now. I rode a kx450f yesterday for about 3 hours, and I feel like its time to move up to the 450. I feel confident and smooth riding it. I rode the 250 back to back of the 450 and I was smoother on the 450 and felt better in corners. It feels super light to me. I'm 5-11 and 200 lbs. Dad is weary about it but he says if he gets a bike that he would get a 450, thsts when I'd make the move to get one haha. But I'm 15 that's why everyone says it's overkill to me, but even he said I looked better on the kx vs my YZ

Oh no. Not a 2 stroke guy. They are fun but to have to ride one around all the time. Nah. And I feel it's a step up from the 250f. Gonna talk to dad about it after I ride my buddies kx450 a few more times and get dad on it, then talk to him about selling my 2015 yz250f and getting a 2012 kx450 or 2013 crf450. And yeah. At 200 pounds I'm trying hard to lose weight. I was 215 and have dropped to 200. Trying to get to like 185 or lower.
  • Like 1

And I feel it's a step up because the power and the extra 5-8 pounds I'd be lugging around. The kx is 10 more pounds wet, I didn't feel it whatsoever

All good, I only saw the 'YZ' part and didn't realize you were on a 250F. Go for it!

99% of 450 riders out there, myself included, would be faster on a properly setup 250F. When you can run with Jeremy Martin, Marvin Musquin or Justin Bogle then ask if you should move up to a 450 but until then hone your skills. Whiskey throttle on a 450 brings the hurt much faster than on a 250F. Besides, new 250F's are putting out heaps of power.

• Like 3

99% of 450 riders out there, myself included, would be faster on a properly setup 250F. When you can run with Jeremy Martin, Marvin Musquin or Justin Bogle then ask if you should move up to a 450 but until then hone your skills. Whiskey throttle on a 450 brings the hurt much faster than on a 250F. Besides, new 250F's are putting out heaps of power.

yeah man your right. I talked to my father about it and he said that he would help me get a pipe for my yz250f, going for a full drd system. And I'm gonna make it a bit more powerful and stick to the 250f. I though about it more, and he said that he's going to get a dirt bike and it will be a 450 whatever he gets so that we can both have a choice, thanks guys
  • Like 2

yeah man your right. I talked to my father about it and he said that he would help me get a pipe for my yz250f, going for a full drd system. And I'm gonna make it a bit more powerful and stick to the 250f. I though about it more, and he said that he's going to get a dirt bike and it will be a 450 whatever he gets so that we can both have a choice, thanks guys

That sounds like an awesome compromise.

Sorry to start up a old post but im just on the edge of buying a 450. Had a kx250f for about a year was my first bike but progressed quickly (As im 20 years old and had to keep up with my buddies) Since sold it to fund my 4x4 project but back in the market, think I should just bite the bullet and get a 450 and not have to upgrade later on.

Caught between a kx450f or a crf450, suggestions?

just to add to what im was saying, im just worried it might be a little too much for now and actually make it harder for me to progress futher.I've never actually ridden a 450 so ive got nothing to go on power wise. On my 250 I found myself wanting more on the straights but had everything I needed at low to mid range.

Unless you can hold the current engine output wide open all the way around the track,

improving the suspension wiil make you faster, not modding the engine.

To most people, more power on straightaways just makes up for cornering/braking mistakes.

Despite my limited MX skills and so-so physical condition, I've recently ridden with guys on 250Fs and a YZ250

which are quite faster than me (on straights and jumps) only to catch up pass them under braking & cornering on my little YZ125.

Edited by mlatour