Sign in to follow this  

Valve shims

I have an 07 250X and I see that shims are used to adjust the valve clearance. This is something new to me and I am wondering how many sizes of these shims I should have on hand when I go to check the clearance this winter.

I see you can buy "Hot Cams" packs of five or a complete sets on ebay.

Whats the deal here, should I get a complete set or are the 5 packs typically all you need?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Jon

That's a tough call.  

There are a wide range of sizes (couple dozen), however once you adjust your valves (if you even need to), they typically don't move all that much until they are worn out.  Once you reach that point, 2-3 reshims is all you can do before you fall below the smallest shim size.

At the low end you can buy them individually for approx $1.50 each.  I see now the kit though can be gotten for around $50.  My advice would be to go for the kit if your planning on hanging onto the bike for a few years or staying in the Honda line (a complete ship kit which handles different brands runs about $90)).

Jim.

I bought a prox set .

because thye were only two days on order from my local shop ,they were cheap and they had lots of sizes ..But i did find they went up in size in .25 then jumped a size.5 and you can guess the size i needed was the between though i eventually got it sorted .So if your in no rush you can remove the old ones measure them and go for a few sizes at once to get it right ,but if your going to keep the bike i think its wise to get a kit you may not use it often but like a spare innertube its there when you need it ..

I use the Hot Cams kit. You may need several different thickness for shimming your valves, they are not gonna always need the same size... The shims are not different for different brands, they are different based on 250 or 450. I have both the 250 and 450 kits and have done multiple valve jobs on a lot of different motors. Hot Cams shine kit it the way to go!

Step one is to check the valves (see link below). If they are within spec, you won't need any shims.

If you do decide to buy individual shims, you can figure out what size you need by taking the existing shims out and checking their size with a micrometer. You will likely need to get the shim that is one or steps thinner than the your current shim.

http://crfsonly.com/howto/crf250x/crf-valve-adjustment/crf250x-valve-adjustment.php

Thank you gentlemen, I have an idea of what I am in for now.

I talked to a shop around the corner from me and he said they will sell me the ones I need individually over the counter once I figure out what size I need.

Cheers,

Jon