Sign in to follow this  

Oil leaking

I normally keep my bike on a stand but over night I left it on the kickstand. When I went in in the morning I found some oil on the floor under where like the gear shifter is. It looks like it is coming from behind the sprocket to me I took some pics. I plan on pulling it chain and sprocket off later but any ideas what it could be? I have it washed and up on the stand now and I don't see anything. I'm going to put it back on the kickstand in a bit to see if it leaks again. 2015 300

1447613439963.jpg

1447613449917.jpg

1447613460747.jpg

1447613472586.jpg

Careful if pressure washing the crud out of that area as perhaps your seal was damaged by dirt/debris being pushed in.

(actualy be careful when pressure washer close to any rubber seals on the bike)

Edited by mlatour

I do power wash the bike so there is a good chance I damaged it. I guess I will order a new one

I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm supposed to go on a ride tomorrow. Is it bad to ride it before I change the seal? I will obviously make sure it has enough oil

Your pics show that it's a rather small leak as the area isn't covered in oil.

Unless you plan on racing a 12 hour long enduro tomorrow,

just make sure the oil level is ok before your ride and don't worry about it.

Edited by mlatour

Ok so is there a trick to getting that metal ring with the rubber seal out? I took out the metal sleeve that goes over the shaft but I can't pull that seal out

Edited by x2fanatic

This is what I'm having trouble with. I went and purchase a good pick set and I still can't get it. Any tricks?

1448210637127.jpg

1448210647746.jpg

You have to try to get the metal shell to move. Then get behind it and work it out. The countershaft is what makes it a pain. I've have also put screws in the outer part 180* degrees apart and used vise grips back and forth . Just be patient, you don't want to touch the case.

The auto part store had a seal puller tool. I bought it and got it out within seconds. Thanks for the help

Could too much oil cause the seal to leak?

how many hours on the bike? Do you over fill it? I usually drain mine over night and put 700cc back in.

Not sure how many hours but I have just about 500 miles on it. I normally let it drain for 15 minutes or so then I put about 27 oz in. That's what the manual calls for

I've changed my seal once. Bike has over 5,000 miles ,around 375hrs

I don't think you'll have any seal problems for a while

27 oz's is just under 800 cc's. I put 750 cc's in mine some run 700. You are good to go. Over filling the crankcase will cause internal problems but shouldn't wreck much havoc on the countershaft seal. I think they just get crud up inside them which contributes to their failure.

I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm supposed to go on a ride tomorrow. Is it bad to ride it before I change the seal? I will obviously make sure it has enough oil

i've let mine get way worse than that on both my 4 stroke and 2 stroke.  you'll be fine.  check your oil before the ride.  just more mess to clean up.

Also FYI.  if you go aftermarket kit.  i have tried the "pivot works" and the "all balls."  and the all balls worked better.  the pivot works started to leak again after only one season. all balls has gone 3 seasons now with no leaky.