Sign in to follow this  

What to look for before installing EG295

My mo betta EG 295 is being shipped out to me Monday. I've read a few posts about having problems with this kit, mainly with seizing. Is there anything specific other than piston to cylinder clearance and ring clearance? also anything to look for specifically with the plating or ports?

Make sure to get your jetting right. I think people that are having seizing probs prob don't have the jetting right...or maybe don't let their motor warm up slowly. It's a forged piston so needs some time for the cylinder to expand.

I can tell you for a fact that you can't just copy someone else's jetting specs. I installed mine and tried to use numroe's jet specs and what I ended up with is wildly different. 45pj/178mj NECJ #2. And that's for 1000 feet and 50-70 degree temps.

The reason for the variance in jetting between my 295 and numroe's is likely head design. His is totally different than mine. Mine is a standard EG mobetta 100 octane head.

You are going to love the 295 in the dez. I wish I had mine installed when I lived there and raced d37. Here in PA I think the 295 is too much for the tight woods. Need to find a way to tame it. The EG mobetta 250 bore worked great in the woods. Might have to go back to that.

-E

Make sure to get your jetting right. I think people that are having seizing probs prob don't have the jetting right...or maybe don't let their motor warm up slowly. It's a forged piston so needs some time for the cylinder to expand.

I can tell you for a fact that you can't just copy someone else's jetting specs. I installed mine and tried to use numroe's jet specs and what I ended up with is wildly different. 45pj/178mj NECJ #2. And that's for 1000 feet and 50-70 degree temps.

The reason for the variance in jetting between my 295 and numroe's is likely head design. His is totally different than mine. Mine is a standard EG mobetta 100 octane head.

You are going to love the 295 in the dez. I wish I had mine installed when I lived there and raced d37. Here in PA I think the 295 is too much for the tight woods. Need to find a way to tame it. The EG mobetta 250 bore worked great in the woods. Might have to go back to that.

-E

awesome thanks for your input. I just got a little worried when I saw a few threads on problems with the EG 295 kit

check the squish before running, often times they are shipped out with a squish that is way out to lunch

The squish is easier to check now than later. You can still run it if your squish is higher than it should be but at least you'll know how much you should have the head cut when you get around to it. Make sure you blue loc tite the 3 small bolts that go into the power valve linkage rod, let it warm up slow and do a compression test after break in. Eric says you don't have to break them in but I don't see how it could possibly hurt. I have 2 mo Betta 295's one has 2 full seasons of racing and practice on it and still has 239 psi compression.

Also make sure you don't remove the reed spacer. Piston barely clears the Reeds with the spacer in. And I think that you can't use boysen Reeds or something like that because of piston clearance issues.