Sign in to follow this  

Stripping a bolt.

Ok so I bought new plastics and graphics and I was taking one of my fork guards off and the bolt hasn't been takin out in YEARS! It's not all that rusted but when I went to turn it with an Alan wrench it just started stripping it. What should I do? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447617798.301039.jpg

First, you always dig out the hole of dirt and grit so the Allen wrench will fit all the way to the bottom. And second, if the Allens tip edges are worn, cut it back to new, unworn section. If that won't do it. Use a chisel and catch the outside edge of the screw and tap in a CCW direction to bust it loose.

There's no telling if that bolt has ever had LocTite put on it. If tapping it with a chisel doesn't work, you may want to heat the bolt first, just in case there's LocTite on it.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 3

Any way of getting locking pliers (Vise-Grips) to grab around the outer edge?

If you are getting new fork guards, simply break the old guard off from around the bolt, then grab the bolt with locking pliers.

Just get a new bolt afterwards.

Coat all the bolt threads with a bit of grease (idealy some anti-seize paste) to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

If your going to pound something into the bolt use a torx bit- pretty much a dead cert on removeing the offending allen.

• Like 4

Cut a slot into it and use a straight blade screwdriver

i tried that all it did was turn and make the hole bigger.. I really thought that would work! This thing is in there GOOD! I don't think it's ever been removed

Grind just enough of the head off to remove the plastic then grab what's left with vice grips and it will loosen

• Like 1

Grind just enough of the head off to remove the plastic then grab what's left with vice grips and it will loosen

I got the plastic off the bolt I just bent it weird and pulled it over. I tried pliers but I didn't think of trying vice grips. Why's it always the simple things that are aggravating lol

I take a file and put a notch on the out side of the bolt, grab a mallet and a steel drift, set the drift in the notch and pound away. And i saw it up there in the thread, if it could have loktite hit it with a torch first.

I had a stripped allen on the plug that covers the flywheel inspection port the other day. I ended up drilling a hole vertically down through the bolt, then sticking the drill bit down into the hole and hitting it with a mallet to break it loose.

I'm taking it to somebody's house today that has the tools to remove a stripped bolt. Thank y'all for yalls help