Stripping a bolt.

First, you always dig out the hole of dirt and grit so the Allen wrench will fit all the way to the bottom. And second, if the Allens tip edges are worn, cut it back to new, unworn section. If that won't do it. Use a chisel and catch the outside edge of the screw and tap in a CCW direction to bust it loose.

There's no telling if that bolt has ever had LocTite put on it. If tapping it with a chisel doesn't work, you may want to heat the bolt first, just in case there's LocTite on it.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 3

Any way of getting locking pliers (Vise-Grips) to grab around the outer edge?

If you are getting new fork guards, simply break the old guard off from around the bolt, then grab the bolt with locking pliers.

Just get a new bolt afterwards.

Coat all the bolt threads with a bit of grease (idealy some anti-seize paste) to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Grind just enough of the head off to remove the plastic then grab what's left with vice grips and it will loosen

I got the plastic off the bolt I just bent it weird and pulled it over. I tried pliers but I didn't think of trying vice grips. Why's it always the simple things that are aggravating lol

I had a stripped allen on the plug that covers the flywheel inspection port the other day. I ended up drilling a hole vertically down through the bolt, then sticking the drill bit down into the hole and hitting it with a mallet to break it loose.