Sign in to follow this  

EFI troubles

My 2011 ktm 350 started acting up last week. It fired and I went for a first gear spin to warm it up (exited for getting onto the track) and then as I went to the spot we were going to say for the day it stalled, and didn't fire again for a solid 2 hours. We let it sit and we tried to figure out what it was and had no clue. I went to the front gate and refunded my ticket and when I got back my buddies had it running. They said it fired up fine. The bike was acting weird all day. (Changing idle, bogging, really rich fuel to air ratio on the fuel side) I rode the day and parked my bike forgetting about it until yesterday. I went to the track, had troubles getting the bike going, and when it did it would bog, and sometimes it would bog down, and rev up, and do that several times in succession. No idea why I thought I might ask you guys. Today the bike fired up and then died and wouldn't go again. Any ideas??

Have you changed your fuel pump filter?

Have you updated your TPS ? (recall from KTM)
Have you adjusted your TPS calibration?

2011's are notorious for having bad fuel pumps (they work till they get hot then stop), bad TPS (they are not water proof), and bad harness connections.

Where is the filter located? And looking into it, I don't think I have the equipment to adjust or update the tps so I may need to get it done at a shop.

If it's pertinent to the troubleshooting, the OP's profile indicates he's located in Ontario (Can)

current ambiant fall weather is this region is about 0°C (32°F) at night with mid day highs of 10°C (50°F)

Friends have told me about some early EFI model bikes having trouble with fuel calibration when temps get close to freezing.

To OP,

are you using gasoline with an ethanol content, if so how old is the gas?

Unfortunately there are not many ethanol-free choices in Ontario : http://pure-gas.org/

Edited by mlatour

I just fitted a new fuel pump filter in, still won't start. Mlatour i live in Caledonia and I'm using 91 in my bike, it's gas from the reserve so I don't believe it would be ethanol free, so yes ethanol, and now it's about 40 days old now. Whats the difference between ethanol and ethanol free?

Ethanol simply explained is alcohol derived from corn,

it increases octane levels in regular gas but has the negatives of having less energy per volume.

The biggest problem in dirtbikes with ethanol gasoline is that is absorbs moisture

and creates all sort of deposits in your fuel system when stored for a prolonged time (and left un-treated with the proper additives)

As mentionned, ethanol it is best avoided if you can find an ethanol-free alternate source of gasoline.

In Ontario, that looks to be Canadian Tire and Ultramar gas stations.

If not available in your area, perhaps try another gas station as the one you regularly use

may have it's tanks contaminated by excessive moisture and their pump filters inoperative.

Look for a service station that has a high volume of customers = fresh gas delivered every 2nd day.

Edited by mlatour