Sign in to follow this  

Clutch cover gasket

Replaced all the gaskets on my '00 KX250 when I replaced the top & bottom end about 10 hrs ago. The crank came with all new aftermarket gaskets, 2 of them which are leaking enough to annoy me at this point.

I ordered OEM gaskets and am wondering what do I need to put on the new gaskets to get them to seal up properly? 

Thanks,

Yes put them on dry. Not all gaskets are the same. Some are better quality then others. Make sure the surfaces are TOTALLY CLEAN. That is the most important part. Then make sure you don't damage it while installing the cover. Snug all the bolts up and then torque in a star figure. Once you get them all torqued in a start figure then go in a circle and make sure all are still torqued. Should be good from there.

Definitely will, but are they meant to be put on dry?

No. Grease them with waterproof grease before putting them on. The grease will help prevent corrosion from the aluminum from making the gasket a permenant attachment. Greasing them means pulling a cover for an inspection / fix won't require a new gasket. 

• Like 1

No. Grease them with waterproof grease before putting them on. The grease will help prevent corrosion from the aluminum from making the gasket a permenant attachment. Greasing them means pulling a cover for an inspection / fix won't require a new gasket.

Agreed, even rubbing a bit of oil or transfluid helps get the gasket back off. Don't over do it though.....a little bit goes a long way.
  • Like 1

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. It has been delayed since I am having trouble getting my new output shaft seal to sit flush anyways.