Sign in to follow this  

2013 KTM 450 SXF woods bike ?

Looking to get one for the woods has 25 hours on it for a good deal ! How good would it be ? Any bad things I don't care about the tranny or the 18 inch wheel really and plan on getting a flywheel weight would this turn it into a xcf?

What's make the XCF is exactly those things you mentioned you didn't care about. What type of woods riding are you talking about? At a minimum would be suspension work, have to soften it up a bit for sure and gearing. Lot's of mx bikes in the woods, but definitely not ideal

Agreed. Doesn't the xcf and sxf have the same engine? I k ow they do for the 2015 but what about the 2013?

I believe they have the same motor I am talking about GNCC racing and I am pretty heavy so a revalve is mandatory lol and I'm gonna change to 13 /48 gearing will it be ok then ?

I have your exact bike and I ride mostly in the woods.  I've always stuck to the MX bikes because I still prefer their more aggressive nature over the woods-geared bikes, I've tried out the more "tamed" bikes and personally don't care for them.  I've had CRF's for years and recently picked up a '13 450 SX-F with just 2.1 hours on it, the only thing I've done so far is gear it to 13/51 and I have springs and Gold Valves sitting on my bench to throw in this week, the suspension is definitely on the harsh side to begin with and I weigh 155 so it's definitely noticeable for me.  

Are you keeping the 19" rim or going 18"?  I'm looking to do the same thing to my 2014.

My last bike was an '09 CRF450 which was prone to flameouts.   I had the throttle body done by injectioneering which helped, but the real ticket is to run the idle higher as suggested here but the catch-22 is that it boils over so much easier on the slow trail with the high idle. It's tough to find a balance because at least on my CRF it seemed like just going a couple hundred RPM higher would cause it to boil over all the time and turning it down it would never boil but flameout a lot.  So far my KTM is much better about not boiling over but I swear my CRF would boil over if I idled for more than 5 seconds.  The disadvantage to motocross bikes on the trail is that these bikes are designed to be as light as possible, and part of that is having the cooling system be adequate for their intended purpose and not a drop more.  They weren't designed to idle for extended periods of time so it's to be expected that they boil over if idled for a long time and especially on slow technical stuff where you are constantly working the clutch and building up more heat.

Exactly why I went to KTM after 10+ years on Hondas.  I honestly feel like the Hondas have just gone downhill since the '08 model, it's really a shame since they used to always really be a superior bike to all the others but the others caught up and Honda has really lagged behind.

Biggest issue you'll have with a 450 is the drive they create. They don't spin (4ts in general get great traction), and when you twist the throttle it's always pulling. Sure, playing around with friends is great, hillclimbs and such but when the going gets tough, 450s wear you out considerably faster then any other bike. Even small things like jumping logs is where a 450 is horrible. Not only does the front end come up, but the bike is pushing your forward, the instant you let off the bike is throwing you forward... Very tiring!

Yes I've thought about this monk and know what you mean but I'm very heavy and want the grunt of the 450 as I have trouble riding my 2 stroke aggressively due to the fa t I feel a little big for it lol