Sign in to follow this  

14 kx450f oil bolt hole stripped

Bought a like new 2014, has low hours. Put 4 hours on it this weekend and went to change the oil. The smaller oil drain bolt had threads from the cases all attached to it, and not I can't get the bolt tight, it just spends.

Is this common? Will a simple tap and die set work to rethread the hole, then use a larger bolt?

thanks-

Bought a like new 2014, has low hours. Put 4 hours on it this weekend and went to change the oil. The smaller oil drain bolt had threads from the cases all attached to it, and not I can't get the bolt tight, it just spends.

Is this common? Will a simple tap and die set work to rethread the hole, then use a larger bolt?

thanks-

Either do a drill and retap or helicoils. The nice thing about helicoils is that they are steel and won't strip out.

The transmission drain bolt almost never needs to be removed. I think Kawasaki only recommends removing it for complete teardowns. 

The manual said remove both bolts, only reason I did.

Worried about going to far with rethread and getting metal in the engine.

I see now after researching that no one removes it. It goes in, but doesn't get tight. Should I just jb weld around it?

The manual said remove both bolts, only reason I did.

Worried about going to far with rethread and getting metal in the engine.

I see now after researching that no one removes it. It goes in, but doesn't get tight. Should I just jb weld around it?

Yep, I just realized my manual says to remove that bolt during an oil change as well.

If you take your time and let gravity do the cleaning, you shouldn't get any metal in there, but if you go the route of a retap or helicoils, I'd do a couple oil changes without running the bike just to make sure any potential metal gets flushed.

If you plan on never removing that bolt, I don't see any reason why you couldn't JB weld it. Make sure there is absolutely no oil on the bolt or engine case if you go that route.

The older 250F also had this bolt. You actually get quite a bit of oil out of there .Make sure you you pump the kick starter to get the remaining amout out. Alot of them stripped out i always torqued mine and never had a problem. Do a search on the 250F forum lots of info on the stripped out bolt on there

Went with the JB weld method, hope it holds up, and hope none of the metal from the stripped threads got into the engine. Ill flush it it with oil before this weekend. If it leaks, its going on craigslist! lol