Sign in to follow this  

Weighted Flywheel questions?

I have a 2005 crf450r that I use primarily for woods riding and some of it gets very technical and slow(at least for me). I am somewhat of a novice on the dirt and have a hard time not stalling it in sticky situations and want to smooth out the power of the bike. So I am looking into getting a weighted flywheel as the title suggests. I haven't ridden a bike before and after a flywheel weight to know the difference. Is there a large enough difference between the +13 and +17 flywheel to make modifying/grinding worth it?

Thanks in advance!!

trail tech makes replacement flywheels. yes. It changes the characteristic of the motor significantly.. i run +13oz, but, if i was in your position, i would consider going +17oz. buy the flywheel puller too from them.

Consider an auto clutch also, it will help with the stalling. I would just buy the ring if you don't need other parts.

I got a weighted trail tech flywheel for mine from a friend. Not sure the exact weight but I noticed it does help in tight windy trails. Doesn't stall as easily.

You'll like it! I also went with a 51 tooth rear sprocket (3 teeth over stock). The top speed went down significantly but it shortened the gearing a lot so I don't have to feather the clutch as much with low speed maneuvering

I had to do the same thing , and when with the +13 ,and really like it. I only added one tooth over shock , that works for me too. But you may need to add more ?

I've just put a +17 ounce Trail Tech one on my 2012 450 and it has made a massive difference, I'd definitely recommend it. I can use 2nd gear for a lot more stuff whereas I was stuck in 1st 90% of the time before which helps smooth out the throttle too. I don't know what your clutch is like but I've also added a Magura hydraulic clutch which has transformed the horrible heavy clutch too.