Sign in to follow this  

Worth the money?

I picked up this 1998 Cr250 for 700 bucks. Runs great but very hard to start when cold. Once warm, runs and rides amazing and starts first kick. Any tips on how to start it when cold? I have to either kick it a million times or give 3 pop starts to get it going.

1447635767817.jpg

• Like 1

It sounds like a combination of bad jetting and a worn out top end. You should remove the cylinder and inspect it for wear. I have a feeling the rings are worn and you'll have lots of blow by. Start with the top end and while your at it remove the carb and clean it. Remove the jets and check and see what's in there. It's getting colder so you should adjust for lower temps.

• Like 1

I know the top end is in good shape and holds great compression. I'll definitely take the carb out and give it a cleaning. Would my spark plug have anything to do with it? I have no idea what the other owner has in it. But I bought an ngk plug to throw in it.

I know the top end is in good shape and holds great compression. I'll definitely take the carb out and give it a cleaning. Would my spark plug have anything to do with it? I have no idea what the other owner has in it. But I bought an ngk plug to throw in it.

How do you know the top end is in good shape? Unless you pull off the cylinder you really don't know what's going on in there. A spark plug change wouldn't hurt but if the top end is worn and the jetting is off then it won't do anything.