Sign in to follow this  

Talon hubs on 2011' YZ250 *HELP*

Hey guys new member here, so I've bought a set of gold talon hubs w/ excel rims second hand. I was told they would fit my 2011 YZ250 but unfortunately that isn't the case. The part number on the front hub is TW731AG which from looking online suits 98-07'. Now I've been told that I can get a talon rebuild kit (bearings, sleeve, spacers) to suit my bike which is ok. Just wondering when Yamaha decreased the front axle diameter? Because as it is now I get a lot of play between both the front and rear axles in the sleeves/spacers (which with the talon hubs run right through the hub and go between the bearings and axles).

Now the biggest problem is the rear hub, as I cannot find any part number apart from the number 125640, which shows no information online. So now I'm left with a hub I can't identify, has anyone had a similar problem? One would assume it would suit a similar YZ model as the front wheel which says 98-07'. Although I thought the rear axle diameter has been 22mm for years and didn't change by 2011? If the rear hub is the same width as the talon hub that would fit my bike, would that rebuild kit work to be able to mate this wheel onto my bike? There is probably at least 5mm play at the moment so maybe it was on a YZF or something. Why is there no part number on this hub like the front, could something be hidden under the sprocket? Any help would be appreciated and please share any similar experiences you've had with this sort of problem. Also I live in New Zealand which makes things a little harder to find help, parts, stockists etc. Cheers Jason

20151101_122037.jpg

front hubs are interchangeable from 02-16 I guess they changed the axles and bearings somewhere along the way. the bearings and seals from your 2011 front hub should fit right in the talon. I think they updated the front forks and lugs in 2008

The rear on the yz250 has been the same since 99-2016. but on the yzf line they changed the rear hub, axle and brake carrier in 2009. its lighter/smaller. You will need a 09+ axle, brake carrier and axle blocks.

Edited by adam8781

Thanks but i'm not sure if the bigger axle will go through my swingarm? From looking online tonight I think most talon Yamaha hubs all take the same bearings which I believe are the generic 6005 type. So basically from what I understand is that all that changes in the hubs from bike to bike or year to year is the diameter of the sleeves to take different axles and the width of the spacers. I think I will try and source new kits for front and rear and go from there. Cheers

hi mate please email talon engineering and explain the problem,they will help you out.heres the email address. Kevin@talon-eng.co.uk

They will help to id the wheel's with your numbers.Also check this thread out it will help Explain the internal hub sleeve and axle width dilema's.sounds like the wheel's may be a bit older (pre 02?) and fitted to a later yzf maybe? and should get sorted with a set of hub sleeve kit's.

Heres the link.

Oh and welcome to tt btw!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/982730-help-talon-wheel-fitment/?hl=%2Btalon+%2Bwheel+%2Bfitment#entry10294395

Edited by smez