Sign in to follow this  

97 cr250 shift issue 2nd to 3rd gear

Hey all,

So I recently had my 97 cr250 bottom end seize up while on 5th gear wide open throttle. The wheel locked up on me and the bike came to a forced abrupt stop. I am not a professional mechanic but I have done a few car engine rebuilds so I decided "how hard could it be?"..and opted to open the engine myself and find out what was going on. After taking the engine apart I found out that my bottom end was seized up. I order a new bottom and top end kit and did the work myself following a YouTube video that I had found of the rebuild. The bike started right up after the rebuild with no problems what so ever.. or so I thought. After taking the bike out for a ride I found that the bike was only shifting from first to neutral and to second gear. When I would try to go to 3rd.. it was like the shift lever was going up but not "catching" anything to make the bike shift.. the lever was going up and down freely about an inch unless I pushed down harder and knocked the tranny back down to first gear. So I noticed that when this happens, I have to slightly push the shifter down like a 1/4 inch and it "clicks" into place (not too far down or it would go back into 1st gear) and then I am able to shift into 3rd, 4th and 5th gear with no issue.. and shift back down with no issue. It only happens when I am going from 2nd to 3Rd gear. I almost feel like the shift lever spring might not be strong enough to spring the shift star and paws back into place go engage the next gear unless I push it slightly back myself? Any thoughts? It doesnt happen every single time either.. sometimes I am able to go through all the gears smoothly with no probllems. I've already take the bike apart and opened the case 3 times trying to fuigure this out and I made sure the gears spun freely and made sure the tranny shifted through gears before I put the case back together. I was really careful when taking the bike apart and pulled the tranny out all together and kept it together, then put it all back in the same way. The gears on the tranny don't seem to have any damage.. nor does the shift drum and shift forks or shift shafts. It all seems to be visibly fine. The bike shifted perfect through all gears before the rebuild.. but I'm not sure if seizing the bike up while at top speed on pavement would cause some damaging engine part flexing that may not be visible to the eye? I have also tried to use ATF and gear oil with no difference in the feel of the shift in the tranny. Any suggestions or ideas would help.. I'm about to give up on it and just probably sell it at a loss if i cant fix it myself since I don't feel that it's worth me paying a mechanic to fix it due to its age and what I payed for the bike in the first place.

Thanks for the relpy. That's what I feared. I'miss not sure if I'm willing anymore. Haha yeah forgot to mention I tried those other 2 fluids after trying betray fluid first.

thOR62CW1O.jpgCrack that case back open, sounds like a sincro is out, or something is binding.....and for petes sake use the correct tranny fluid!

• Like 1